Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Backstory:
I'm fighting the electrical gremlin fight on a '75 CB360. Being relatively new to bikes, I took it to a dealer (Bettancourt's Honda/Suzuki, in Bridgewater MA ) with a rep for wrenching on old bikes.

After some failure-to-charge/loss-of-power issues, my hunch was that the charging system is hosed -- and, indeed, it is. One of the prongs of the OEM rectifier snapped off in my hands when i touched it, and one of the legs of the stator is pretty much nonexistent.

I am having the dealer put in Rick's Motorsport aftermarket charging system for old hondas (see PDF here ), and hopefully that'll quiet things down.

However! The dealer also mentioned that there are no springs in the key ignition, which was resulting in intermittent shorting on the harness as well as it jiggled around at speed. This seems entirely likely. One of the things I looked at while trying to figure things out myself was the ignition, and during that examination i ripped it off the bike, took it apart, and cleaned it up pretty thoroughly. I noticed no springs during that disassembly.

SO.

Anyone got a part number or suggestions on the appropriate spring to use? Bikebandit is coming up empty, but cracking the ignition, popping two springs in, and putting it back
together is 10 minutes worth of work, and i'm not paying the dealer to do it :lol:

here's what the inside of the ignition looks like. I'm assuming the springs go under the two copper contact pads...

The bike itself: Pic

Thanks all for your help -- hopefully i'll be hanging out here in the future with a bike that can go more'n 40 miles without shitting itself! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump!

Really? Nobody's taken apart an ignition before?

I will probably strip the springs out of a bic clicky pen and see how those do...

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
I've rebuilt a 360 ignition switch but I'm pretty sure theres no part # for the springs, and I dont remember EXACTLY what size they were. I reccommend taking the upper half of the switch (with the locating holes for the springs) to a store that sells springs and find ones with the same diametre, then if need be you can shorten them to size.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts