Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opened the left cover today because I have a small drip and since I am waiting for a kick shaft to arrive I figured I could get something productive done. When I opened the cover three things fell out. Mind you this bike has been running. A bolt, the cord protector(I had no idea what it was at the time) and a large ball bearing or a very small pinball. It seems the (not sure of the proper term) standoff that is actually part of motor housing, broke off on one of the screws. It is on the top of cord protector in the first picture.

Cord Protector and bolt

The picture below shows the spot where the standoff broke off. The screwdrive tip is pointing to it.

Left side detail - broken

This picture below is all of the pieces taken apart.
All parts

My question is does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can secure this piece back in? The one screw hole is fine. My thought was to tap where the the other one broke. I just don't know if there is enough meat to tap that even if for only a few threads.
I apologize for the huge pics. I wanted to show as much detail as possible.

Thanks
jon

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
You are NOT going to want to drill and tap.....
JB weld the 'stub' back on after cleaning the cases/parts (or do it correctly and have it heli-arced)

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Seems to be a weak spot on our 360s, mine had the exact same breakage when I got it. I just used the JB Weld type product that my local store carried to re-attach it.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the quick responses. Should either of both surfaces be grinded or roughed before applying? I have never used the product before.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
cleaned, then follow directions... After it hardens, be careful not to overtighten the bolt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts