Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My bike starts right up just fine, but after riding a mile or two will shut off as I'm coming to a stop. Typically happens if I'm going 25+ mph and come to a relatively quick stop. Once it starts happening, it doesn't stop. Starts up fine, shuts off every few blocks, starts up again.

Took it to a shop nearby and they suspected carbs needed cleaning. Did a carb overhaul and still same issue. Next they replaced the condenser. The bike ran perfectly fine for a couple days after the condenser was swapped, but tonight just started doing the same thing again.

I've been dealing with this issue for over a month now... a few friends have said they suspect something related to the fuel line, but when I mentioned that to the mechanic.. he was sure it wasn't.. Any thoughts?

My tank was swapped for a new one right before this issue started, but have no idea if that could have impacted anything. I've only been riding for a few months, so this is all extremely new to me. Appreciate any insight.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
First, stop throwing parts at it, this only leads to frustration and an empty wallet.

You can either add clear fuel filters or ride it until it stops and check the bowls for fuel. It could be several things, clogged tank vent, floats not set correctly, clogged tank or petcock.

To me it doesn't sound electrical.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Carry a can of starting fluid take the air filters off.. ride, when it cuts out hit it with the starter fluid... if it still won't run... your looking for an electrical gremlin...
I had a issue with my Tr**mph, started, ran, 2-3 blocks.. one cylinder wound go dead...give it a few seconds..all good for another 2-3 blocks...
Discovered one of the float needles was sticking closed... motor ran with what was in the fuel bowls.. then one would run dry due to the needle sticking..
Also as stated before.. new fuel lines and filters are a must with modern fuels.. and I am starting to find out even peacocks ..
The new fuels will destroy fuel lines and rubber from the inside... braking them down.. and allowing the small particles to either clog slow fuel delivery..
here is a pic of a fuel line on a motor I was constantly having carb issues with .. look at where the hose was on the barb.. compared to past IMG_4986.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Solenoid has nothing to do with engine running, only energizing the starter.

When it quits, loosen the fuel cap, start it up, and ride with the fuel cap loose. Likely will identify your problem.

And find a new mechanic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts