Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has already been covered.
I have a shot at buying an SL frame and swingarm locally, and have 70% of a CB 350 engine at home and would like to know if the CB 350 engine and transmission will fit into a SL 350 frame. If so will it also accommodate an electric starter ?
Any help or input would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Who is that gentleman on the forum that vintage raced Honda CB 350's that's from Maryland ?? I know he could answer this question.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Surprised the 350 folks haven't jumped on this one, I'm sure they'll be along soon. As best I know, any 350 engine will fit in any 350 frame.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with J-T. As far as the starter motor, which SL's didn't have,
I have seen a photo of an SL-350K0 with one, so looks like it'll fit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
honda-sl350-k0-22.jpg
I used to work at a shop in Montreal when these came out.
We put K-81's on it, and boy, you could get around downtown!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Firestorm. But the frame I'm looking at is a K1 which has the dual downtubes which is when Honda deleted the electric starter. I'm wondering if the dual downtubes somehow interfered with the starter and that's why the starter was deleted going forward. The mounting bracket for the starter on my engine is part of the casing and if it didn't fit I guess you would have to cut it off somehow. If you look at the engine on a K1 or 2 you will see that the mounting bracket was eliminated as well.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
That would be my concern as well.

I had an SL350 K0 and DID put a CB motor into it so I know that is good to go. but as noted the K0 was not the Double Downtube frame.

I did a GOOGLE on SL350 Images and you will see a bunch of mixed K#'s

There are some good Higher Res pic's out there. But I did not see any double down tube frames with a starter.

BUT... It looks to me like it would fit.
SL350-K0 CloseB.jpg SL350-K1-CloseB.jpg

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Yendor. I think I'm just going to pass on the frame and try and find a "reasonably" priced CB frame ( ha ha ! ).

Thanks for the pics !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts