Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was asked to rebuild a cb360 motor. I have not worked on a cb360. Whats the main difference between the two motors ?

Thanks , Bill

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm under the impression the 350 has cam bearings - the 360 has none, and the cam rides in machined journals directly in the head. One of the more common 360-specific issues is that the oil pressure release valve is too soft and opens too much at high rpms, so long runs at high revs can result in under-oiling at the head, and the cam/rocker arm surfaces/cam journals get fried. What's the reason for the rebuild?

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
they both have cam bearings...difference is that the 360 motor has them cast into the head...350 motor's cam bearings are in the end caps and replaceable.

360 also has a different style oil pump, 6 speed transmission etc...similar architecture but very few if any interchangeable parts.

Reactions: Honda John

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think we’re on the same page - the 360’s journal bearing just doesn’t match what most people expect in a (roller) bearing, so don’t worry when you don’t see any rollers or races in there, Bill :D

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Just do modification to oil feed in clutch cover, it cures most issues. Heavy duty clutch springs are a good idea
There are various mods to do but the clutch cover oil transfer piece is the only critical one.
If you want information on 'everything' in one place, Trek 97 as collected a lot of information on what works to make motor reliable plus electrical, how to time, etc.
If 'customer' has built or is building 'cafe racer' expect issues with carbs and cheap pods (or expensive ones if I haven't done carb mods)
Even though it won't be anything you do, it's always the last person who works on anything that gets the blame

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help. Its a non running barn find with a clear title. $350.00 . The guy looking at it ask if I would rebuild it. I will finely get to finish the ca 160 and have a couple of powder coating projects then will be free so I am thinking bout it. Biggest concern is parts. Still looking for parts for the 450 Ducati.

Thanks again , Bill

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
most parts you may need are available. Cam chain tensioner's were an issue for several years but are being re-made.
There is a ton of information available on-line, I' the unofficial 'expert' on them because I've been playing with that particular motor longer than anyone else (since the late 70's)
The absolute best mod you can do is 69mm Suzuki GS850 pistons. Only increases capacity 22cc but gives better than 25% 'more' torque, power and fun.(around 38~42bhp at wheel)
Completely stock they make around 23~28bhp at wheel (even though Honda claim 36bhp)
I'm pretty sure it's due to the oversize ports just working better with a little more capacity?
It's much easier to work on than 350 (I've done both for years so speak from experience)
If it's low mileage and turns over OK, just do clutch cover oil mod, oil change and ride it until the valve stem seals fail (they will, smokes like a two-stroke on a cold morning)
Treat it like a reliable Triumph 500 twin with less torque at low rpm and a 10,000rpm redline :D

Reactions: Bill H
1 - 8 of 8 Posts