Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am embarrassed to admit that when putting new dome nuts on the right shock absorber mounting post, I have somehow damaged the thread and cannot get a nut to go one and so secure the shockie.My question is does anyone know if the mounting posts are replaceable,or are they part of the frame.Looking at the CMNSL schematic diagram they looked to be fixed, but just wondering.

Thanks, Grazman

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I ran into this problem when I rebuilt my CL175, one shock mount was snapped clean off.

As Simo says, it's an M10 1.25 pitch thread. Commonly available M10 stainless dome nuts are 1.5 pitch, so you might be able to recut the thread to this pitch.

On my bike, I drilled and tapped the stump of the shock mount to take a piece of M10 stud, in 1.5 pitch. The steel in the frame at this point was much harder than the steel elsewhere, took me ages to drill a hole to tap a thread into.

stud.JPG

Fuzzy image, but you get the idea:

DSCF1718.jpg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Richard and Simo,i don't have a cutting die, and the local hardware shop didn't have one,so I think the best thing is to get it done by a professional at the motorcycle shop, just hope I haven't damaged it beyond repair.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I did something similar on my Lifan monkeybike.

M10 thread on the shock mount had stripped. Not enough metal left to recut a decent M10 thread, so I cut an M8 thread instead.

A bodge, but all this nut does is retain the shock on its upper mount, no loads involved, so I reckon M8 and a large washer is safe enough.

shock.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just found out that Aldi have a sale this Saturday of a tap and die set for A$30 will go and have a look.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts