Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll be doing some extended back road hauling all summer long on my 1965 CB160, I decided to tear everything down, loosely following the groupwracing racer build guide. The plan is not to make a racer, but to make something reliable under extended periods of high performance. I chose to tailor this trip around the 160 because of its character and the renounced racing pedigree it carries in the vintage community. I've always had a fascination with the idea of touring on something that could also handle itself on a track. I'm carefully cataloging the build as it evolves.. (new pistons, valve springs, tires, upgraded rear suspension, custom luggage rack, handlebars etc) The motorcycle is only one third of the full picture. Gear and the focus on extended survival out in the elements with minimal luggage is the second third. Getting the chance to finally sit down and finish Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is the last part.

YO5A0049-3.jpg

This is her last year, she was running well enough, until the clutch push rod oil seal popped off on a summer night and the engine stalled on me while riding. After that point, one of my sparkplugs was fouling with oil and white smoke was coming from that side. I figured it was time to go inside and take a look. First time taking an engine apart, and it's been a blast :cool:

View attachment YO5A0983.jpg

GOPR9691.jpg

Since this is my full time job after deciding to
end my lease, pack down and liquidate assets to focus fully on being out on the country roads by the end of Spring, I managed to convince the GF to be okay with the engine inside our apartment so that I could work late nights.

IMG_0017.JPG IMG_0021.JPG

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMG_1055.JPG

Got some superfluous parts today, got me thinking more about the riding stance, considering now going all the way and getting some rearsets for the long haul. My main pack will be a sleek waterproof 24L backpack by Outdoor Research

41IcRqh9NmL.jpg

Still waiting on the machine shop to get back to me on the honing / boring of the cylinders

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IMG_1095.JPG
Found a pretty good local machine shop way deep in the ghetto that is North Philadelphia.
Head has been rebuilt with "racing" valve springs and new bronze valve guides, cylinders were honed and stayed STD. And the new pistons came in today...
I guess it will be time for the engine to come back together very soon. Departure date is June 1st, lot's to do this month

1 - 8 of 8 Posts