Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just wondering if I can check the float levels on my cb175 with the carbs in situ,or if I take them off, do I have to remove the petrol tank, as the inner carby mounting bolts are hard to get a spanner on.

thanks,

Grazman

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I don't know about your carb design but on my bikes, I can use a short piece of clear tube attached to a hollow, conical shaped rubber piece, came out of a car vacuum test set I had. I remove the bowl drain screw and insert the rubber piece and hold the clear tube up and turn the fuel on. Hold the tube up next to the bowl and see where the fuel level is.

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Fuel line Carburetor

Reactions: J-T and Alan F.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Richard,thats a good idea.i need to check the float level again as it keeps overflowing, so I must be doing it wrong. I have read the how to do's on this forum , but its difficult to tell when the tang is just touching the valve.i will keep at it , they say practice makes perfect.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I should add the picture is from my Sabre, it is easier because it has a drain valve and not a drain screw like my twins so I just attach the tube to the drain nipple and open the valve. On the twins I have to use the conical rubber piece and hold it in the drain hole.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
i need to check the float level again as it keeps overflowing,
In my experience, an overflowing carb is just as likely because of a faulty float valve.

I've had no end of trouble with those, either leaking and causing an overflow, or sticking shut and starving the carb of fuel.

I ended up using pattern (Keyster) float valves in original valve seats, only combination that didn't either leak, or stick shut.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Richard, I am dismantling a carb at the moment, and displaying my ignorance I cant figure out how the internal spring of the float valve works. the spring moves in and out ok, but when I put it in the valve body it seems too short to actually do anything. I am sure they are the originals.i have read that when measuring the float level turn the carby body until the tang just touches the valve before compressing the spring, but there seems to be no spring resistance in mine.Could you please enlighten me.

Thanks.

Grazman

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Glad you found the problem and bravely posted it so others can be aware of this.

·
Registered
965 Posts
You know of cmsnl for the exploded views which may help.

Most carb fuel levels can be "seen" via the plastic tube and drain screw method, some even using the fuel level shown relative to a reference point, usually the line made by the float bowl to carb body joint. Twins etc, can easily be compared this way.

Have you made a float gauge ?

Without checking, your carbs have the float chamber wire clamp or screws ?

I tend to replace the screws with allen bolts these days, makes removing the chambers easy with the carbs in situ, for servicing and cleaning etc..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts