Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok gang,
So this being my first carb bike, I consulted the interwebs for winterization tips. So carb-wise, I put in sta-bil (no brainer) and then rode for a bit, getting some of that stabilized fuel in the carbs. Then I shut off the engine and unscrewed the carb drain screws and all the stored fuel came out. Its been a week since I have done this and I was playing with the drain screws and lo and behold about 3 tablespoons of fuel came out of the screw holes! Is this supposed to happen or is my old petcock being stupid again?

If it is the petcock, what should I do? I got my Honda package the other day with a brand new one, but I don't wanna drain the tank and make a huge mess after I have already winterized.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I know this does not address what you asked, but here's my winterizing procedure -

I just go out and start each bike at least once each week thoughout the long winters here, and run them till they get good and hot.

End of procedure..........

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was always told that does more harm than good :roll:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
krukster86 said:
I was always told that does more harm than good :roll:

Not too sure about that.......
Especially when we're talking about trying to avoid the harm that gets done by NOT running them all winter.

I know my bikes don't like to be ignored, they get mad at me and don't want to start right away. If I run them reguarly, they start right up every time.

i have an electric 12-string guitar that acts the same way - as long as I play it regularly it stays in tune for me (miraculous with a 12-string).
But, man, if I ignore it for a few weeks, it takes 20 minutes to get it back in tune.

Wifey is the same way.... :shock: :( :?

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hahahaha!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
There is a lot of talk about condensation and such, when it comes to starting your stored bike in the winter.

It's just that. Talk. I've yet to see conclusive proof that this actually happens, but it is what some "experts" say. Just follow the basics. If the battery is gonna be in the cold for any real period of time, then remove it and keep it trickle charged. Top off the fuel tank with the highest octane fuel you can get. Aviation fuel is the best. Make sure the carbs have it in them by running it. If you use aviation fuel they'll be no need to drain the carbs for winter. It does'nt gum up like traditional fuels. Stay away from fuels blended with Ethanol. It will have water in it, and I think we all know what water can do to your tank, engine, and carbs while sitting.. :roll:

Also, used engine oil will produce acids so it's wise to change the oil before parking the bike for any extended time period.

P.S. Turbo Blue or VP race fuels work very nicely for winter storage. I've used Staybil and I consider it CRAP!

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Getting back to the main question: are my carbs supposed to have fuel in 'em when its winterized?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Some drain the carbs, and some don't. With Stabil then it's also your call. The little bit of fuel could have been what was trapped in the line after shutting off the petcock?? If your float needle valves are rubber tipped then I'd want the carbs empty for longer term storage. So the rubber/viton tips don't get mooshed and harden that way.

Your petcock probably needs either replaced or rebuilt. Put a couple long fuel hoses into a bottle and seal it up with duct tape. Make sure it's emtpy and leave the petcock off for a day or two. Top off the tank with fuel and the bottle will tell you for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bird76Mojo said:
Your petcock probably needs either replaced or rebuilt. Put a couple long fuel hoses into a bottle and seal it up with duct tape. Make sure it's emtpy and leave the petcock off for a day or two. Top off the tank with fuel and the bottle will tell you for sure.

Thanks GB!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Your welcome! That's how I tested mine and I got a couple teaspoons of fuel. I took it apart and cleaned it, but it did'nt look too bad. It stopped leaking but as extra insurance against filling the crankcase with fuel, I'm going to replace it with a new one.

Let us know what you find out if you decide to test that petcock..

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a few gas cans (1.5 gals that you buy at the gas station) and I drained my tank after pulling the lines loose from the carbs. I took off the old petcock and slapped on my shiny new one from Honda. I tested it out with about a liter of gas, and problem was solved! I took apart the old one and it was CRUMMY! crap was everywhere, the perforated tube (I think its the reserve fuel intake tube) was completely gone, and gaskets were almost non-existent. I am glad I made the switch! :D

I will check the carb drain screws tomorrow to confirm the results

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Sounds like you've got a handle on it Kruk. It's always good to go NEW if you can. Once you confirm the bowls are still dry after sitting some time, you might consider checking your float height and float needle valves sometime as well. Or did you replace them (float needle valves) with your rebuid kits?

It may not be necessary, but would be nice to know. One less thing to worry about..

By spring you're gonna have a good runner!!

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bird76Mojo said:
By spring you're gonna have a good runner!!
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts