Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried using the search function but couldn't find any specific information—I've disassembled the carburetors on my 1972 CB350 and I'm ready for a deep cleaning. It looks like the late-style carbs have a large plastic passage plug located near the idle mixture screw (I've read on earlier models it wasn't plastic). My plan was to dip the entire body in cleaner to let it soak, however, I'm worried that would melt the plastic, no? If so, what is the safest way to clean the carburetor bodies without damaging the plastic passage plug? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
What Model Crb do you have?

It is cast in the the carb body.
3C
3D
722A

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're 722As. Here's a picture with the plastic plug located near the bottom—I got them pretty clean today without dipping in carb cleaner but it'd be helpful to know in the future!

IMG_0630.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Go ahead and dip it. That plug will not be effevted by Carb Cleaner.
BUT the Felt Washers that seal the Throttle Shafts will be dried out if you dip the entire carb body so make sure you get the greased or oiled

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
One of those plugs fell out when I was cleaning my carbs a few years ago and I never found it. I ended up carving one out of hard rubber and pressing it in there. Last time I looked, it was still holding up ok. Looks like just a plug to seal access to a machined passageway, so I made sure it didn't block the passageway it sealed.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
They can get brittle if left in carb cleaner for extended periods but it's rare for them to stop sealing (I think I've seen 2 in ? hundred carbs) The passage es under the plug are for the bypass ports, it's important they don't get blocked if you have to amkea new plug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts