Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the carbs back on the bike and she started right up. Right carb still bogging down.
checked the battery... fine. Pulled the right carb and think I found the problem. Should the slow jet be open lengthwise? the small holes along the shaft are open but I ran a tiny wire lengthwise and could not run it through.

I have it soaking in carb cleaner to see it will open up. I got the impression from other post that it's not recommended to leave the jets soaking in carb cleaner.. Why?

I guess I should have ordered new jets but there seem so many issues with the various kits didn't know where to start.

Thanks

Reed

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
While hoping for a response to my prior post I thought I'd add another wrinkle. The primary and secondary jets are 65 and 100. Doesn't seem to square with the chart I've seen in other posts. Is that because the bike was sold in Denver (mile high)?

The slow jet seems plugged unless it's not suppose to be hollow the full length. Any answers would be greatly appreciated

Reed

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow,

This is like having my own blog. Got the slow jet opened. Props to Steele Cycles.

The thing just won't idle. The gasket set i bought had a pilot jet; kinda look like a plug. My question is how can any fuel reach the slow jet with that plug in? Is that why it won't idle? Does it have a hole? Was I suppose to push it all the way in or just barely?

My right cylinder is bogging down. Sound like a sucking sound when I throttle up. Slide?

Anyhooo if anyone can chime in I'm all ears (or eyes)

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
RNaka said:
Wow,

This is like having my own blog. Got the pilot jet opened. Props to Steele Cycles.

The thing just won't idle. The gasket set i bought had a pilot jet gasket; kinda look like a plug. My question is how can any fuel reach the pilot jet with that plug in? Is that why it won't idle?

My right cylinder is bogging down. Sound like a sucking sound when I throttle up. Slide?

Anyhooo if anyone can chime in I'm all ears (or eyes)
The plug covering that jet should be there. It gets its fuel from the main jet passage, you'll have to ensure that this passage is not blocked as well. If it is, pilot won't be getting any fuel. Have you checked the diaphragms to make sure they are not torn at all. If they are you'll have problems.

Also, have you checked your valve clearances?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Perry,

Thanks for the reply.

I did set the valve clearence to spec. It was running before I decided to "fix it". The right cylinder runs cooler than the left. Was this way before my venture into home mechanics.

Diaphrams are perfect. The right carb was really crudded out. Thought I had everything cleaned before the reinstall. Guess I'll take it apart again.

Thanks again

Reed

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Recleaned the right carb, checked the point gap (.014), static timed. same results...

How about coils, condenser??

I pulled the right plug wire while running and still get exhaust pressure from the right exhaust. How can that be?

Reed

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
The engine is basicly an air pump....it pushes air through even if the fuel in the mixture isn't getting ignighted.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
66Sprint said:
The engine is basicly an air pump....it pushes air through even if the fuel in the mixture isn't getting ignighted.....

Makes sense.

I googled the symptoms and think it might be more electrically related. Spark plugs seem weak (orange). going to look at coils, condensers, points....

Seems odd that it's intermitent

1 - 8 of 8 Posts