Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cleaned my carbs on the 84 cm450a now the carbs won't take fuel from the gas tank, is there a way of correcting this without another disassembly. Please help I'm confused.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. What part of Canada are you from? There might be a member nearby. Are the float needle valves stuck? Particularly, the left one?

·
Registered
9,796 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Before you pull the carbs off, just disconnect the fuel line at the left carb. I believe you have the vacuum operated petcock in which case fuel will not flow with the petcock in the "on" position unless the engine (or an external source) is supplying vacuum to open the valve. I believe it will flow when in the "res" position (at least that's how it worked on my GL500). That's how you get fuel in the bowls to start the engine so the petcock will work.:roll:

Rube Goldberg, your phone is ringing.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Good stuff, J-T. Didn't think of those vacuum petcocks.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
If you're saying there is no fuel flow with the line disconnected you might apply vacuum to the petcock, or you might just replace it with a petcock from and earlier CB/CM400.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Air should pass through that passage as well, if air won't pass then fuel certainly won't either. The float needle/valve controls flow of the fuel

·
Registered
169 Posts
I had a Spree with a dreaded vacuum petcock. I recall that I had to rig up a hose spliced into the vacuum line to suck on to prime the carb if it had been sitting for a while (days). I was not sucking fuel, just creating vacuum. My memory is schetchy on this- long time ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts