Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past year, I have battled the carbs on my 1976 CB200T. The bike ran great but would never idle. Lately, the bike felt like it was running out of gas when riding above 55 mph for an extended period of time. I ended up putting on after market pre-tuned carbs and she idles like great! Unfortunately, a few days later my clutch able seemed to be getting really loose. I ordered (what I thought was the right replacement cable) that night. Headed to work the next day, with the old cable still on, the bike started to shoot up in RPMS when giving the throttle a good pull in fourth and fifth gear. When it did this, it did not increase in speed. Almost like the clutch was pulled in.

When I got to work, I realized how stretch the clutch cable had really become. I was having to push the clutch lever out to disengage the clutch. I needed to get home that night (only a 3 mile drive) and would wait to ride it again until I put the new cable on. When I started the bike up, shifted into first gear, and let out the clutch the bike just revved up like it was in neutral. At first, I was worried that the oil change I had done a few weeks ago, was the culprit. I usually put regular 10w-40 in it but this time I used a 10w-40 oil that said it was made specifically for motor cycles. I remember the oil seeming a little thin. After receiving the cable today, I removed the old cable. When I got the old cable off, the tension in the clutch lever was relieved. I was able to pull it up and shift into gear at the same time. I pushed the lever back down and tried to spin the back tire. Thank goodness it was in gear.

Trouble is, the clutch cable I received, had a crankcase tension nut that was an 1/8" too small. Now I cannot find a replacement cable at all. I have two questions: 1. do you think my issues with the rpms where due to my stretched cable? 2. If so, do you happen to know of any secret part of the internet that I could find a cable?

Appreciate your reply in advance,
Scott

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
If your problems were the result of a stretched cable I would expect you to have trouble getting the clutch to disengage, not the other way around. Your symptoms sound like the cable was binding. Since it sounds like you can now engage/disengage the clutch with the cable removed finding a proper replacement should fix it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts