Honda Twins banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning everyone...

I spent some time reading up in the forum and online about getting rid of carbon buildup on heads and pistons. I have quite a bit of build up on mine and would like to get them squeaky clean this weekend. Here are the following strategies that I have gleaned from my research:

Soak in simple green, then use a synthetic brush and water :mrgreen:
Just use detergent soap and water
Brush on seafoam and spray off with water
Use a solvent

So what is the best method? I found some other good information on this site such as...

DONT soak in simple green, it can etch aluminum and cause embrittlement. not good...

and I still have questions, such as....

If I am to use a solvent, what kind of solvent? Do I soak it or brush it on?

I think we need to readdress this in the thread here cause I dont see a one stop shop resource for carbon cleaning and degreasing. :p

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would think that baking them with some what high heat would make the carbon break down. Im new to the engine side of vintage bikes.. But when you have a leam condition on a carboned motor it burns the carbon off. Be careful though the buildup on the valves usually isnt carbon, its old lead deposits. I used a mild degreaser and a steam wash, then a synthetic brush attached to my drill. good luck, it just takes time. haha

1 - 2 of 2 Posts