Honda Twins banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can feel the eye rolls and hear the groans from here haha. Looking for someone to rebuild/clean and re-jet my carbs. I have them disassembled enough to clean. I have the old diaphragms removed as well as the upper portion of the vaccum tubes removed. I have new diaphragms,drain plugs and a rebuild kits coming in. I’m confident in my abilities to rebuild them but jetting them for the pods I have is the troubling part. I also don’t have a sonicleaner and don’t want to invest in one for one set of carbs. If anyone is up to the job and can do it at a reasonable cost and in a reasonable time frame I’d rather use their expertise. The carbs are in fairly good condition and are not gunked up. The floats appear to be in-tact without leaks. Please let me know and I’ll ship them off as soon as I get the parts in! Thanks in advance! 72 CB350 K4.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Do you want functional carbs, or pretty and functional carbs?
What's your location?
What pods and exhausts you have?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Stock diaphragm carbs will not work with pod filters. Keihin CV carburetors require a balanced and smooth air flow. The airbox provides this. People have been able to make them work by jetting to be slobbering rich. This is a the cost of performance. If you really need to have the pod look you should consider a set of Mikuni carburetors.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I don't see how someone can tune the carbs without the bike there as well. It's gonna be a trial and error exercise in jetting to get it to run right and even then as Jim pointed out these carbs are not designed to run with pods so....

Reactions: J-T

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stock diaphragm carbs will not work with pod filters. Keihin CV carburetors require a balanced and smooth air flow. The airbox provides this. People have been able to make them work by jetting to be slobbering rich. This is a the cost of performance. If you really need to have the pod look you should consider a set of Mikuni carburetors.

Do you know anything about those carbs? I’m just trying to figure out why they would work better. I’m also curious about why DCC has them for $300 and, what appears to be, identical carbs are on eBay for $70. Any insight? I keep reading and reading but it seriously just hasn’t clicked for me. Main jets/ secondary/ slow fast.........it’s all complete mystery to me.

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you want the simplest route, use the stock carbs with the stock air box and filters after you get your carbs cleaned. Buying non factory carbs will take even longer and cause more stress to get running correctly.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
If you are just "ready to ride" as you stated and are unwilling to attempt re-jetting yourself then perhaps you should consider just running the stock carbs with stock air boxes instead. Seriously, nothing you're going to do with these stock carbs is going to beat the performance of the stock air boxes. They were designed and engineered to work together.

To re-jet and tune the carbs we would need to have access to the bike as well. You'd have to ride it with different jet sizes and adjust to see which would work best. Can't do it with just the carbs.

Ask yourself this

Is having that "cool" pod look worth the headaches and aggravation?

And yeah, there is a reason why you heard a collective sigh and groan regarding this subject LOL
Many of us have been down this road before and know what a frustrating exercise it is to tune these stock carbs to work with pods. Most of the times, the bike never runs right afterwards with pods.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
And to think I was going to offer to do you carbs... I am one of the few pod supporters here. Tsk tsk. Just run your carbs as is, if you have running issues then address them as they happen, if they happen.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And to think I was going to offer to do you carbs... I am one of the few pod supporters here. Tsk tsk. Just run your carbs as is, if you have running issues then address them as they happen, if they happen.

Wait, I’m confused here. Why did you decide not to want to do my carbs? Did I say something to rub you the wrong way? I’m seriously just looking for help and trying to learn what I can.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you want functional carbs, or pretty and functional carbs?
What's your location?
What pods and exhausts you have?
Sorry, completely passed over this! I want pretty and functional. I’m in Memphis and I’m not 100% on the exhaust or pods to be completley honest. There are no ifentifying stamps on either. I’m attaching pics of both but I will also be digging around to see if I can figure them out. I sent you a PM as well. Again, sorry for skipping over.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
With those pods you will have a problem around 4500rpm (+/- 1000) You may get carbs reasonable but you will need work on the internals to get even close (still have to mess around with fuel scews and secondary main jets) Bike becomes very finicky to exhaust pipe length, open pipes being a total disaster and short megga not a whole lot better. Whoever said 'get Mikuni's' dfoesn't seem to realise just how much work you have to put into them to get same performance as modified stock carbsas even the 'correct' pre-jetted ones are not close enough plus come with parts for a 1970's two-stroke MX bike. The only way I've ever got VM's working properly was tomake new emulsion tubes and use small round head jets (instead of the hex head, I've got more of them :D )

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With those pods you will have a problem around 4500rpm (+/- 1000) You may get carbs reasonable but you will need work on the internals to get even close (still have to mess around with fuel scews and secondary main jets) Bike becomes very finicky to exhaust pipe length, open pipes being a total disaster and short megga not a whole lot better. Whoever said 'get Mikuni's' dfoesn't seem to realise just how much work you have to put into them to get same performance as modified stock carbsas even the 'correct' pre-jetted ones are not close enough plus come with parts for a 1970's two-stroke MX bike. The only way I've ever got VM's working properly was tomake new emulsion tubes and use small round head jets (instead of the hex head, I've got more of them
)

I just sent you a PM and as per the message I’m attaching pics of my exhaust to see if I can’t get help identifying it and to see if the jets and emulsion tubes you have might work.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
That's a Dunstral pattern silencer. Length is OK and will work fine although longer is generally better. If you find any pictures of of Honda factoryrace bike you'll see they end about level with rear edge of tyre and not inside of rim. I guess I wasn't specific enough, I have a LOT of the small round head jets, not emulsion tubes (although I do wish I had made more of them when I had the chance)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts