Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what this piece is called, but it connects the carbs to the head. I'm assuming it helps make a seal for air intake? When I had the engine off, I cleaned the head and ended up having to remove this piece, pulling the gasket up with it. Trying to avoid ordering one, cos I've only been able to find it from a place in the Netherlands or something and shipping is stupid expensive. If it's just an air intake facilitator, could I cut up an old gasket to something else and use that? Or could I use gasket maker to attach it? Or is the only right way to buy a gasket for it.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
If we knew what model bike you're working on we might be of more help.

If you have a 350 you might need #8 in this fiche:

Western Honda Powersports- Honda Dealers 50 years In AZ Motorcycles ATVs Sales Parts Service & Repair

The part number would be:

16229-369-306

If you google the part number it will show you a number of potential sources including this one:

https://www.partzilla.com/product/h...MI06CBjpP62gIVSNbACh28xgwkEAAYASAAEgILNvD_BwE

It is also possible to fabricate you own gasket, I'd use new gasket material available from parts stores.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Our Best GUESS as mentioned by moderator is that you are working on a version of the 350 Twin. (by the pic in you avatar)

The Carbs are mounted to the head via a Flexible Rubber Boot.
These boots have a Standard Type Paper Gasket that seals the flat surface to the head.
You can trace the shape onto gasket paper material sold in any auto parts store.
Use the thinnest one you can get. they usually have 2-3 different thickness.

One caution is these boots if original typically will have dried out and will have hairline cracks that leak air and will cause idle problems so examine them carefully and consider replacement if in doubt.

Both the Gaskets and Boots are available from a Honda dealer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, it's a CL-350. Forgot to mention.
Thank you both. I'll check an autozone down the street for gasket paper.

Out of curiosity, what is the function of the gasket? Is it just to keep the head from scorching the boot?

·
Registered
555 Posts
The gasket helps with an airtight seal between the carb and your intake port. The paper helps fill any surface imperfections that might allow a vacuum leak otherwise, which would lean out your mixture by pulling in additional air and give your engine a tendency to idle high and ‘float’ (when your revs are slow to return to idle after you let off the throttle).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts