Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just starting rebuild on my 71 cb350 carbs. Both floats are bad. What is best option? Get OEM floats from 4 into 1 or buy the complete kit with everything

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
OEM is generally better. Aftermarket hard carb parts get pretty poor reviews around here. Most of the hard parts you get in a kit are unnecessary and often not correct. When you do need replacements you can search the part number and usually find plenty of sources. Honda gasket/seal kits are readily available for many of our bikes at reasonable prices. They are quality parts that actually fit.

·
Registered
620 Posts
General consensus is to use the OE brass parts if possible and use the Honda Gasket Set for the rubber pieces.
The brass parts need to be removed from the carb body, checked for wear/damage and if they can be cleaned.
The idle circuit brass in particular has a very small opening and will cause you many hours of grief if it isn't clear. I use a single bulb LED to make sure I can see light through the opening.
As for the floats I've never had to buy any, buying lots of parts bikes helps, so I can't help you with that decision.
I have used the 4 in 1 kits and have had no issues with how the carbs worked afterwards. If your carbs are marked 3D you will not need the very small washer for the 722A idle mixture screw that in the past has been too small.
If you go with the kits keep all the OE brass, check it carefully ... someone may have already been playing with the carbs.

·
Premium Member
2,916 Posts
To clean out the really small passages take a short piece of Stranded Lamp Wire and remove a single strand.of the copper wire.
You can use that all you want and cause ZERO Damage to the passageways and jets.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
The pilot jet is either 35 or 38, hole down the middle is about 0.012" diameter, single strand copper wire should be OK but if it won't go try some thinner wire first. I bought some 0.3mm drill bits to clean out original pilot jets without enlarging them' Majority of aftermarket pilot jets are either marked wrong or just poorly made,I've seen sizes from 30 to 45 all marked as 35. None of them had correct cross drillings, they were all around 0.60mm instead of Kei-Hin 0.80mm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts