Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI:
I have a 1966 CB450 and I would like to rebuild the carbs.
I can get a kit that fits a 68 CB450.
Will that kit do for the 66?
Thanks
Bernard

·
Registered
145 Posts
Which actual parts of the carb are you trying to replace with the kit?

The consensus is that after market carb kits, particularly the jets, are slightly different shape, and don’t work as well. I agree with this from personal experience.

Ive found that it’s best to just take apart the carbs and clean them with an ultrasonic cleaner, then use felt pipe cleaners (no wire brushes) so you don’t mar up the brass.

·
Registered
46 Posts
^^^Absolutely agree with above. Aftermarket carb kits today can't be trusted to provide correct brass parts, and all jets and emulsion tubes need is to be properly cleaned. Save yourself grief later and simply use the gaskets from any kits you buy, and even be cautious about any o-rings that might come with them - double check them first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HI
jammer415
circling the drain

Thanks for the good advice.
I got two kits coming and until I take the carbs apart I don't know what's up.
I didn't want to start the re and re and find myself short a gasket (or??) and have to leave the bike in pieces.
The bike hasn't been used in years but has been oiled in the spark plug holes and kicked over along with being stored indoors.
I retired a while back so some free time allows a chance to go at it.
Trouble is vehicles and pinball machines have been a "I need one of those" for a lot of years.
The outcome is not to start a project without as much done ahead of time as possible to avoid a half finished mess with "lost, hard, to find again" parts all over the place.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI:
While I have your attention I should mention why I think I need these kits.
Reason one is the bike has been sitting and my bet is old gas(even though I drained it) has probably gummed up things.
Reason two is one of the cylinders would rough idle no problem when I got off idle.
Would that be ignition or carbs?
No matter how much I played with the idle screw the problem didn't go away.
Since there were no other issues I chose to ignore it.
Thanks for any insight on the second one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts