Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys. I am working on fixing a leaky LH carb on my '67 Superhawk. At first I thought it was a bad float needle, but as I it took all apart, I realized that my RH slide was very sticky, almost as if the RH throat is out if round. Both slides are smooth in the LH side, neither slide works in the RH.

Would a stuck slide on the RH cause the LH to leak over the overflow? Also, it is pretty apparant that I need a new RH carb body. Anyone got a lead? What size are these carbs? 26mm?

Confucious say.... never work on a motorcycle with out a manual!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Gersh

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Ok....I'm confused....There is only ONE slide in each carb......If you meant you tried to use the RH slide in the LH carb that alone is/could be the/a problem....Generally they are "mirror images" rather than interchangable......GOT PICS?
The carbs are completely independant (other than the choke linkage), so whatever is happining in one is due to THAT one, and has nothing to do with the other carb at all.... Sounds like a float level issue, or bad shut-off needle and seat....
A warped/damaged carb body is a possibility, but I just sent all my 305 spare carbs to Bill440cars...Perhaps he can help you ..... :? Steve

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve, I thought as much. I could not see how one throttle sticking would cause the other to flood past the shut off. But with some of these old bikes, you never know.....

In some other research, I found a thread stating that if the carb is bolted too tightly to the manifold, it can potentially cause the carb body to disfigure at the top, which is exactly where the slide binds on my bike. Apparently, this is what must have happened somewhere in this bike's life. It would also explain some other tendencies it had at idle! :evil:

As a positive note, this was my first foray into the innards of carbs, and after so many years of reading these (and other forums) on carb rebuilds, I was happily surprised at how familiar everything was. Just goes to show how wonderful these sites are.

I will send Bill a PM and see if he would part with a RH body!

Gersh

1 - 3 of 3 Posts