Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I have a new-to-me 1980 CB400t Hawk and for it's age I've been pleasantly surprised on the shape its been in. After riding it around a bit I noticed that it would die if I let off the throttle, and when I parked it for a couple minutes I noticed the left carb dripping gas onto the ground. I've taken the carbs off and sure enough the left carb float/needle bottoms out before it seals the hole. I'm guessing this is my problem.

What I'm wondering is since its all plastic, I cant adjust the float height? I'll be honest I haven't dealt with a bike that has non-adjustable carb floats so I want to make sure there is in fact nothing I can reasonably do to adjust what I have. Do I replace the floats? The needles? Both floats and needles? Where can I get these things I need? I like to use ebay but other forum posts have me not trusting most aftermarket fuel parts.

Also one last question... a non-sealing float would make it run rich, right? It carboned up the new plug I put in there after about 20 minutes!

Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Check the float needle spring loaded little pin that the float supposed to touch, it may be stuck

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
There's a great (Sticky) thread on the forum that explains it all. "Rebuilding VB Carbs"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have seen the sticky about rebuilding the carbs, it's a great resource! Though I hadn't seen it talk about adjusting the height just checking it. The pins on the needles do move, maybe they're weakened from age but its really easy to push down. I think it's time for new floats and needles - hopefully that'll get me to where it needs to be.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Get the HONDA parts....Steer clear of aftermarket .......
The Honda OEM float needles are the only ones that are the correct length. Aftermarket ones are too long lowering the float level or too short raising the level.
Alternatively you can replace the floats with ones from the 1978/79 VB21 carbs, Black, which allows you to adjust the float level and use aftermarket float needles. The needles are different between the 2 different float types.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts