Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran into a strange issue and wondering.if anyone has seen this before. I'm cleaning the carbs on my 71 CB350. I pressed out the two jet emulsion tubes with a plastic rod, and cleaned everything. Upon reassembly, the tubes fit more loosely. The secondary jet emulsifier will not seat and hold in place. It is not binding up- when looked at from the bottom, the tapered tip protudes the correct amount.

My guess is that the casting of the carb body just wore out a bit, and the tubes no longer have a friction fit.

I plan to reassembly anyway, and use the jets to hold the tubes in place. Is this a terrible idea? The only way to fit this seems to be to:
1. Slightly peen the carb tube to hold the tube
2. Slightly marr the tube to have a tigher fit. But it is a precision dimension for fluid flow properties
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
893 Posts
Not uncommon. It will tighten against the shoulder. You can check it after reassembly of the jet and float bowl.

In the past I have swiped a thin film of solder onto brass parts to tighten up the interference fit but haven't had to do it to any of these CB350 carbs.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,006 Posts
I most likely had some gummed up old fule on it that cuased it to be a friction fit before.
Now that it's been cleaned it slips in easily.
As long as the tip seats against the carb body it will do it's job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great to know I'm not crazy and this is common. Wish I hadn't taken a small hammer to the tube to try and seat it. I kept hand pressing it in, and flipping the carb body only to find it slipped out. I assumed it was never seating at the final depth. Only after some tapping did I think to hold it in place while looking from below.
Definitely broke the tip of one and had to reach into my spares kit. Generally helps to think first.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,006 Posts
The Jet with the O-Ring Below it will hold it in place while you do the basic assembly.

If by the TIP you mean (1) of the (2) EARS on the end - I have atually repaired that.

After cutting off the 2nd unbroken ear I did the following:
I used (2) piece of Brass Tube inserted into each other ans solder togeth to make (1) thicker walled peice of the correct diameter
Then Cut off a short section about 3/16" - 1/4".
I use a tooth pick to center the piece over the Tube
Soldered it onto the end
Used my digatal calipers to an umolested part and measured the exact length.
Then cut off most of the excess.
Carefully filed down to the exact length
Then used a hacksaw to cut a slot that matched the opening between the original ears.
I did need to use a needle file to open that space up a little but the end result was a part that you would be hard pressed to see as different.
It has been working for about 2 years in a 722 carb with no problems.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top