Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took my carbs apart and found that one diaphragm has a crack in it. i just did a quick internet search and found them on ebay for $99 and some other site for $89! thats is insane for a peice of rubber as thin as a balloon. anybody have any cheaper ideas?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Honda price is closer to $150.....That's a bargain, and should include the slide (They are a unit)...There are "kits' with just a replacement diaphragm, but the re-install/remanufacture results are reportedly less than ideal from what I've heard.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the ones i seen were just the rubber for that price! looks like im gonna have to do some craigslist and swap meet hunting

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, that seems a bit silly, that price.

I bought a full rebuild kit for the CV carbs on my BMW and it included the diaphragms (easily replaced) and the kit per carb was well under $50 IIRC.

One reason I bought the 1973 CL350 I have is because I reasoned it is one of the most produced engines and bikes ever, and that either the factory, used sources or the aftermarket would have a generous supply of repair and maintenance parts for a reasonable cost.

Egads, looks like I may have been so very wrong. :shock:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
fingaz said:
Wow, that seems a bit silly, that price.

I bought a full rebuild kit for the CV carbs on my BMW and it included the diaphragms (easily replaced) and the kit per carb was well under $50 IIRC.

One reason I bought the 1973 CL350 I have is because I reasoned it is one of the most produced engines and bikes ever, and that either the factory, used sources or the aftermarket would have a generous supply of repair and maintenance parts for a reasonable cost.

Egads, looks like I may have been so very wrong. :shock:
Yeah, the diaphragms are a shocker.
Remember, these bikes are 40 years old now, stocks of spare parts were depleted long ago.
I spend more time hunting down parts than I do fixin' the bikes.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
^ what they all said. You can get whole carburetors cheaper. I'd look around to see what methods people have had luck with rubber cementing them together. I know people have talked about doing it, but I've never had to (thankfully!) Some with horrible results, and some that claim life is good.

a crack sounds more promising than a hole. I'm thinking a thin piece of gas proof (and acetone proof) rubber and an appropriate glue/adhesive would be the way to go before dropping a benjamin on something so unfulfilling.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I've suggested this before but never heard any results or if the person ever used this method. I'd try putting a ultra thin layer of a really flexible gasket maker on it. Such as blue or black Permatex.. As long as it's fuel resistant.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i ended up finding one, seen a bike on craigslist that said it also came with a box of spare parts so i figured it was worth a try, so i called the guy and he said if i drove out there i could just have a carb. then also scored a complete 68 cl exhaust "i just needed the heat sheild" and stock bars with hand controls for $40. it was my lucky day!

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
I've suggested this before but never heard any results or if the person ever used this method. I'd try putting a ultra thin layer of a really flexible gasket maker on it. Such as blue or black Permatex.. As long as it's fuel resistant.

It works. My older brother did this to his '76 CB360T quite a few years ago, and AFAIK, it's still working fine. I don't remember exactly what he used, but I saw it at the time - it was black. And from what I remember, he wasn't particularly delicate, either. Kinda cobby. But, I've not ridden it, so maybe it runs poorly, and he just lives with it. But I'm pretty sure it runs fine...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts