Honda Twins banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just cleaned my first set of carbs with Pine-Sol, and I'm very pleased with the results. I thought I would share with everyone.

A few notes, I didnt soak the metal brackets but soaked everything else. I removed every part I could prior to soaking. Things to keep in mind for future, I did experience oxidation on the aluminum after I rinse them with water but a coating of WD-40 seems to have kept this at bay. Anything made of steel began to rust almost immediately, again coating with WD-40 helped this but for future reference I would probably remove these items as well.

Here are some pics:

20180715_144708.jpg 20180715_144729.jpg 20180715_144740.jpg 20180715_144753.jpg 20180715_144810.jpg

Feel free to ask questions, thanks for LDR for is writeup here on this site.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I had problems with steel parts rusting when using chemicals to clean carbs, but now I use a sonic cleaner with hot water and Dawn dish soap and never had another rusty steel part.
TOOLS

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think a sonic cleaner is preferable, but I do not have access to one. I'm not familiar with Yamaha Carb Cleaner but may be something to check out for future. I read pine-sol had good results so I was curious to try it. I have some electrical to finish on the bike as well as exhaust before I can fire her up and see if the carbs function properly. The bike I pulled these carbs from did start but couldn't get the bike to move hardly at all. Disassembly showed one jet completely clogged, lots of green gum on other parts, one float valve seized in place, just generally not cared for by previous owner.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yamaha carb cleaner was created for the 1982 left over new bikes that were still in crates with fuel left in them. A Yamaha factory tech told us at the dealer to use hot water instead of gas.
Also they made a fuel tank cleaner/ rust remover that also worked great

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
893 Posts
After using Evapo Rust to clean old gas tanks and having it remove the old fuel residue along with the rust I started using evaopo rust to clean my carbs. Not the fastest but no odor keeps the boss happy. Oldest tank I have cleaned is a 1938 Triumph Tank that had decades old fuel residue.

I have also found that rubber parts cleaned in the evapo rust come up clean and refreshed. Watch the mixing of various materials though as it can cause color blushing to happen.

Works great in the ultrasonic as well.

·
Banned
854 Posts
I know as set of CX500 carbs when I see em. I cleaned mine the first time with pinesol(didn't have an ultrasonic yet) and I was pleased with the result. The PineSol seemed to get into the nooks and crannies pretty well.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
CX500 carbs do look a lot like CB/CM400/450 carbs.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just one more tip The Yamaha carb cleaner will remove paint, so be sure to rinse off any spills quickly

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I used Pine Sol to clean my 350 carbs a couple years ago and it left some discoloration and a powdery residue on them. I bought a small ultrasonic cleaner and cleaned them again about a month ago with just water and a couple drops of dishwashing detergent and am much happier with the results (and smell).

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
When using Pine Sol it's important to flush them out with hot water and blow dry them. That stops the white crud from forming

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LDR, I rinsed as soon as they were pulled from the pine sol and then used compressed air to dry them, still got some white on the bodies. I'm not sure if length of time or pine sol mixture has any bearing, I think they were in 7-8 hours and I used a 2/3 pine sol to 1/3 warm water.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I rinsed mine well and dried them, too, and it appeared to remove it. The carbs sat in a box for another week or two before I put them back on the bike and the white dust was back when I pulled them out. I probably left them in too long (50/50 mix for about 12 hours). A cleaning with some Gunk degreaser fixed them up.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
You mean one that actually works? Well..........................

Products like Seafoam (there are others) can be useful in removing varnish that has built up in carbs if it is no too bad. If you have significant performance problems you'll do better re-building your carbs using the appropriate OEM soft parts. Only replace hard parts if damaged or if modifications are indicated.

You'll also see better results if you start your own topic (what is it, a discussion now?) in the appropriate section of the forum. Give us a complete description of your issues including any attempts you may have made to resolve them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts