Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I apologize if this has already been discussed but I wanted to share my experience with using Chem-Dip carburetor cleaner from AutoZone. This can has a basket inside where you put all the parts. Advanced Auto has the Gunk brand which is similar.

I removed all the plastic and rubber pieces and dropped them in the bucket for about 4 hours. I only dipped the aluminum and brass pieces for about 15-20 minutes. Then washed everything with soap and water. I still used brushes through the passages but didn't pull out any junk. The jets were completely blocked previously. It's like it was completely dissolved. I also blew air through the passages. I attached some pictures for reference. I wish I would have taken some more 'before' pictures.
-Mark

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,202 Posts
You'll need a hazardous waste disposal facility when you are finished with it but you can store and re-use it for years. It is one of several effective carb cleaning options.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
...And that's the "modern" stuff. The previous product that was banned by the EPA (remember when we had them?) was even stronger and more powerful.

Carb dips like these are the best reason to NEVER paint carburetors!

·
Registered
587 Posts
That's a product I'd love to try but AFAIK it's not something that's sold over here. I can try to buy it from eBay but the shipping costs make it three times as expensive as the basic price, and I'm not entirely sure it would get through customs.

Don't s'pose it has any information on the container about what it's chemical make-up is, does it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can take a look tomorrow

1 - 7 of 7 Posts