Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m trying to see if my bike runs and the engine runs for a short time before moving on to the bigger jobs. Is it possible to use carb cleaner as easy start and spray it in the spark plug hole to get something in there to ignite without having to remove the entire pod filter.

I’m trying to avoid touching the carbs until I know it actually turns over.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I’m trying to see if my bike runs and the engine runs for a short time before moving on to the bigger jobs. Is it possible to use carb cleaner as easy start and spray it in the spark plug hole to get something in there to ignite without having to remove the entire pod filter.

I’m trying to avoid touching the carbs until I know it actually turns over.
Removing a pod filter should be one screw on a clamp... ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you're going to do this where you're starting and stopping it to test it and see if it kicks over and if it runs you should drain in at least at Fresh oil to it before you start doing that so that you don't kick up the sludge that's in the very base into your top end

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the carb cleaner won’t damage anything in the spark plug hole? Just checking, I started and thought hold on the carb cleaner might damage the pistols or rings etc.

Thought I’d check as my impatience got the better of me.

·
Registered
328 Posts
To directly answer your question anything with a VOC content above 65% will work to check if your issue is spark or fuel flow.

If you have the plugs out and you're just trying to check if you have spark you can place them against the engine block and crank the bike over and you will see them Spark

·
Registered
3,180 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I use carb cleaner all the time, safer and more convenient than gas. Acetone and lacquer thinner work well too if you have some kind of squirt bottle to use. I don't use starting fluid, way too hard on the engine, carb cleaner works better anyway. Back in my bike shop days we had an oil can filled with saw gas mix that we used to prime engines. Two cycle oil/gas mix isn't a bad idea (a little upper cylinder lube when your trying to start an engine that sat a long time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts