Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I think it is time to clean/rebuild the carbs on my 71 cb350. I have never done any carb work and am somewhat scared. Are there any directions/manuals on line or do I need to buy the manual to find the procedure to do this? Where do you guy buy the rebuild kits from? Any suggestions? I have looked around and found some on dennis kirk, ebay, etc. Wish me luck guys.

·
Registered
134 Posts
well i am always on the cheap side so what i do normally is i have a gallon dip kit from autozone $20. i tear the carbs apart and be carful not to ruin the rubber parts/seals and then soak the carbs overnight or more depending on condition. then i wash in water and blow with compressed air and put back together. I've had good luck doing this, and have not had to buy any parts in all the carbs i have done. if you get a real bad one you can use dental pick and scrape crud out and use a torch clean out set for small holes. hope that helps.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Torch cleanouts aren't meant for aluminum and aren't too kind to brass - they eventually enlarge the orifice of copper torch tips (and bell mouth them if not used carefully). Strip a short piece of multi-strand copper primary wire and use the copper strands. Some are even small enough for the low-speed jet; I don't think there's anything that small in my torch cleanout set.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I generally don't do any "poking" in carbs - but when I do I'll use old (solid, not wound) guitar strings, which come in a wide variety of diameters, and I have in abundance.....

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I also use the thin strands of copper wire stripped from wiring, or brass/stainless bristles pulled from a brush, to clean the jets. I've been doing this for around 15 years with no bad results. I will never use the acetylene torch cleaning wires to clean any jets or carbs. They're mini files in a sense. :shock:

Also, I would'nt plan on soaking any of those carb bodies or parts overnight in the carb dip. It will seriously attack the carb bodies in particular. Turns them colors and a residue forms that has to be manually cleaned off, and is quite hard to remove. A good 30 minute soaking of the bodies will suffice. Then spraying with carb cleaner, cleaning the jets individually with whatever method you're comfortable with, and then spraying them clean as well. Then reassembly.

Do remember (as mentioned previously) to remove all gaskets, rubber parts, before spraying or soaking, etc...

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
An air compressor is a valuable tool to have when cleaning carbs. Unblocks passages better than poking IMO.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all the tips. I am feeling more and more confident in taking on this task. Do you guys have any tips for removing the carbs? Is it pretty self explanatory? Should I be ok with reusing the float bowl gasket? Should it come off with some prying? Or should I souce 2 new ones?

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Most would order in a pair of kits, but its not exactly a rule. Usually old genuine jets are better than aftermarket, you just need to be careful removing them (use the best fitting screwdriver for the task) and clean them as best you can.

I strongly recommend blowing compressed air through all passages and jets once you've soaked and/or sprayed with carb cleaner.

Fit a pair of 'sintered' inline fuel filters to avoid fouling the carbs with more tank gunge.

A new gasket is probably a good idea as the old one will be compressed and offer little in the way of a good seal

Keep left and right toatally seperate from one another and do one at a time so that you can use the other as a reference on reassembly.

Dont get any carb cleaner on rubber parts. Also be very gentle with the diaphram and be sure to refit it the correct way round.

Make sure you set both floats exactly to spec or you will leak gas into your oil.

Good luck with it mate...it wont be the last time you open a carb ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts