Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I've been researching how to get that darn kickstarter off the shaft. Mine will go out half way then STICK. Based on what i've read other folks doing i've tried wd40, pbblaster, torch, pry bar, hit it from the back side with a screwdriver and mallet. It's very likely those "teeth" are bent at some place where i cannot see. If i keep trying to push/pull it threw it gets caught up and i have to push it back to get is sliding around again. I was wondering if y'all had any tips/techinques i could try or if you recommend i just lob the thing off... which i'd be really sad about doing.

Thanks in advance for your help!

on a side note... all that pushing and pulling loosened to cover so won't be having issues taking that off when the time comes hehehe.

FACTS:
1970 CB350
Engine is on the table

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
You did remove the Bolt Not just loosen it right?

The Bolt aligns with a Groove in the shaft and will prevent the Kick Starter lever from coming off if not removed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey there,

@Newaddicitions Thanks for the tip.. Sadly I don't have one of those laying around and they seem a little costly. Will see if i can find one to borrow.

@Yendor Correct, It's just the piece connecting to the shaft. The rest of the assembly has been removed.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
With the pinch bolt removed, just lightly tap the tip of an old screwdriver into the slit on the side of the kick lever. That will act as a wedge and open it enough to slip the lever off the shaft. If it is already sliding back and forth, your penetrating oil is worked in. Don't open it any more than necessary to remove the kick lever.

Ray

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
+1 on the open the pinch point up a little.
Also - Put the Actual Kick Lever back in.
It makes a good lever to work the attachment point back & forth.
The Nub on the shaft by itself will provide no leverage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
w00t!
I torched it for another 5 mins. Used the kickstart lever. Stuck the screw driver in the tiniest part of the slot and went to town on jamming it in. Finally, I pulled and it slid off!! yay! moving on!

·
Premium Member
3,007 Posts
Usually just a BIG FAT Screw Levered in the Pinch Slot a little PB Blaster over 2-3 days and some good hard wiggling will pull those lever right off.
Sounds like your's was extra rusty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts