Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am desperately trying to get hold of an air filter for my 1993 CD250U as in the picture below but they are discontinued and seem impossible to find anywhere. Is it a feasible option to remove the paper and replace it with filter foam in its place please? If so what thickness etc would be advised? Thanks
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
555 Posts
This is a pretty common surgery on CB360 filters. I used the green open cell Uni foam, a utility knife to cut out the old filter element, and Gorilla glue. Essentially, the process is:

-Cut (or melt - some members have found that a blowtorch to the metal side will melt the glue and allow the filter to pull out) the old paper filter element out. On 360s, there’s a wire mesh backing that holds the body of the filter together. It can be brittle and you want to take care not to break it off.
-Measure the opening where the filter media goes and cut a piece of Uni foam to fit.
-Glue it to the edges - if you make it slightly oversized, you can get away with just gluing it to the ends and it’ll press itself against the side lengths to stay in place.
-Oil the filter element using the correct spray oil.
-Away you go!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,458 Posts
I just cut mine slightly larger than the filter and press fit. That way I can remove the foam and clean/re-oil as needed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Throw the old filter under a tree and set it on fire with a propane torch.
Let it burn (yuk).
Later clean it up and lay in your foam, Bob's yer' Uncle.
Seal it if you feel like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds perfect thanks everyone, I was just concerned what foam would allow for the correct air flow but it sounds like that green stuff on Amazon will do the job :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
I used 1/4" green foam from a fabric store. It looks just like UNI foam but is much cheaper. I simply cut the foam to size, and secured it to the filter frame with hot melt glue. It worked great, and I have had no problems with it.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top