Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here it goes!
I have been itching for an old CB for quite a few years now. Always liked the look, and really like the old machinery that I can tinker on without having to worry about not putting the 1's and 0's in the right order...
For the past few years, I had been stalking what I think is a 72 CB which was in great shape but buddy had it in his yard and refuse to sell. Well, after sitting outside for 6 years, he finally emails and asks if I'm still interested. As he is asking a lot for a bike that is now in rough shape, I declined. While trying to find the end of the internet a week later, I stumble on a 75 500T which looks like it's in good shape for a very reasonable price. It's now sitting in my basement, naked as a Jaybird.
All of the chrome is good, although the back fender and tailight are a bit crooked from someone backing it into a wall, tank is pretty dented and ratty looking, wheels and hubs were painted black, and the front brake seized. Lots of other little things found on disassembly but nothing crazy so far. The bike is complete except for the toolkit, toolbox and the sidecover sticker for one side.
I have already received my first order of parts and will now start the rebuild. My goal is a resurrection, not a restoration and I want the bike as original as possible, but clean and mechanically sound. A little touch up paint where required to keep it from rusting but otherwise, looking her years.
I'm not sure of how it will pan out time-wise, but I think it will be a fun project and I look forward to your comments and suggestions!

Jeff
Halifax, NS
75 CB 500T aka Beppa
05 Ural aka Gertie
08 CRF 230 aka Therese
88 GSX 600F aka Bertha

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Welcome. And pics of the bike please.
Nice to see another 500T

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Welcome aboard!
Did it come with papers?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it's been awhile! Such a prolific social media user I are.
As the bike came apart, the scope of the project grew but my better half's patience did not. So, we were kicked out of the basement and I ended up insulating the garage in order to be able to work on Beppa and her sisters in comfort over the winter. This move worked out for the best as I ended up also tearing the top end apart.
So, I ended up stripping it down to the frame, powdercoat and rebuild from there. Cleaned up all the chrome and aluminum. New bearings for headset, wheels. Had fun with the electrical (not Ural-level fun, but almost), rebuilt the starter and clutch. Overhauled the carbs, new brake caliper and master cylinder but saved the housing. Top end rebuild, new gaskets everywhere.
The clutch was a bit of a headscratcher: the clip on the release cam was all chewed up from hitting the chain. I had to cut the cable, reshape and fix up the clip. Cleaned up and lubed the adjuster and, after figuring out how the thing works, realized the bearing which is supposed to sit in the recess of the cam was missing. So the adjuster was maxed out to push on the clutch release pin, contacting the chain. I found a replacement bearing and adjusted without further issues.
I finally started the bike a month ago and it caught on the second kick! Safety inspection went well, had the plates on last week and had her out for a couple of rides. All good! I think Beppa was happy to be back on the road following 22 years of inactivity.
So I plan to ride her as is for this summer to see if there is any tweeking required to be done next winter. I will get the wheels and hubs back to original finish as one of the POs painted them black, likely end up re-lacing the wheel as I'm sure some of the spokes are seized up.
One piece that I have not re-installed: the crash bars. Although the chrome is good on them, I thought the bike looked better without.
Although I haven't posted, I did go through this forum for info and would like to thank you for your assistance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Dissassembly pre-migration to the garage

Much enthousiasm for this project by all!

fork cleanup

Top end rebuild and scratching my head on the clutch issue

She cleaned up good! As you can see, the clutch adjuster was still causing me grief. Funny how much entertainement a missing ball bearing can provide...

Carb cleanup and rebuilding

1 - 6 of 6 Posts