Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired a batch of parts from craigslist posting. This tank appears to me to be a CB450 tank but I do not know that to be the absolute truth. It is a bit different than my original 72 CB450 tank but not by much.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
The bottom chrome strip says 72, 73, or 74....The push button on the cap says pre 74....So we've narrowed it down to a 72 or 73 model CB450.....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
66Sprint said:
The bottom chrome strip says 72, 73, or 74....The push button on the cap says pre 74....So we've narrowed it down to a 72 or 73 model CB450.....

Hmm my 72 has no Chrome strip and it is without a doubt the unmodified original tank in the original color. It also has a key lock cap.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Some 71's (K4's) were sold and titled in 72....IF you have a K5, (serial starting CB450-5000001), it should hve the strip........ Many "earlier tank caps were retro-fitted with the "key' type cap opener....It was a 'recall".......
Check here: http://www.motorera.com/honda/h0450/sport/sport.htm

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
66Sprint said:
Some 71's (K4's) were sold and titled in 72....IF you have a K5, (serial starting CB450-5000001), it should hve the strip........ Many "earlier tank caps were retro-fitted with the "key' type cap opener....It was a 'recall".......
Check here: http://www.motorera.com/honda/h0450/sport/sport.htm

ahh I will have to dig out the title and check the vin. It must be a K4 though since it is the 71 Poly Blue color, no chrome strip, and a pleated seat. It is titled as a 72 that much I remember for sure. My frame is wrapped and on a pallet 15 feet in the air at the shop so I can not check it.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Check the VIN to find out what model it is. It is really hard to say what has happened to out bikes in the 40 years they have been around. I was surprised to see my K5 has a K7 engine in it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JamesPal said:
Check the VIN to find out what model it is. It is really hard to say what has happened to out bikes in the 40 years they have been around. I was surprised to see my K5 has a K7 engine in it.
Mine is as it rolled off the showroom floor. Still had the original tires and the motor break in was not even complete. Not sure how someone can store a motor vehicle for decades without ever using it but they seem to turn up fairly often.

This second tank is a different story. It came off a pile of unknown rusted parts I got cheap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts