Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Is this muffler original? What are the lower markings? The lower markings are only on the left side muffler.
DSC_3459.jpg
DSC_3469.jpg
DSC_3470.jpg

·
Registered
582 Posts
My CB400F has a "HONDA" muffler that also has that text on the underside. It made me think it was a reproduction. However mine is already rusted and blown out.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Maybe the 2007 on it is a coincidence - it looked like a year of repro to me at first, but I'll say they do look original

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can someone provide more info? What is this muffler on my Honda? If not original where do they come from. Is it something no longer available? What is SANKEI 2007?

·
Registered
167 Posts
The top stamp and number indicates it is for your model of bike and includes the Honda code and part number. As noted Sankei is a supplier to Honda, as Honda themselves cannot and do not make every part that makes up each bike. There is a chance those are a reproduction part, or they could be an original OEM installation. Companies such as David Silver Spares have commissioned the original suppliers such as Sankei to reproduced exhaust systems for them to resell.

You don't indicate any history on the bike, as it is in nice condition. So is it an highly original survivor, or a restoration at a high level that you or someone else has done? I have seen original Honda bikes with the Sankei model number and the original model number on the exhaust just like your system is showing. I restored a 1982 CM450A last summer and I bought a NOS muffler system from a Canadian Honda supplier selling off dealership stock. Those mufflers had both the Sankei and Honda markings on them from what I believe to be original Honda parts.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The top picture indicates a Honda CB360/250T model along with Honda part numbers HM387, so it could be a reproduction but it is for the CB360T as indicated in the first picture of the top of the exhaust system. I think there is a good chance that this is an original OEM system, yet the OP needs to supply more information on the bikes background.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Looks to be pattern correct to me, I would look for speckling on the bottoms of the pipes and on the side towards the wheel as those spots don't get cleaned very well. Would indicate age and not new repops.

Nice bike, need to get the rear grab handle installed, makes getting the bike up on center a lot easier and saves the seat pan from undue damage.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Sankei are a Japanese manufacturer of high quality replacement exhaust systems for cars and bikes.

They do replacement systems for the CBX and Z1.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
I copied the responses from your duplicate post (in the small twins section), pasted them here, then removed the duplicate. When you post in the wrong section we can just move it for you.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
It may not be original but it's a damn good copy. Nicer looking bike original exhaust looks pretty much identical but except for one slightly rusty pair all the others rotted out (one out of four sets)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the info.

I bought this bike a little over a year ago. I am the 3rd owner owner. It is not restored although very clean. Up until 2014 this was a one owner bike (at least that is what I was told. I was also told the bike was in storage from about 1994-2014. The guy I bought it from put it back on the road doing all the normal stuff to get it running. Until I bought the bike last year it had spent it's life in Southern Calif.

When I bought it I was told that it was original and that mechanical things were replaced (brakes etc) and the tires. I was also told the exhaust was original.

A few months ago I noticed that the weld on the left muffler was not the same factory weld as on the other side. I asked the guy I bought the bike from about the weld. He said it was done to repair a small hole. The exhaust on both sides are solid but I am beginning to think that the left muffler may not have been on the bike when new. Either way both mufflers as well as the whole bike look great.

I am trying to figure out this muffler issue as I will be putting the bike on the market soon due to health issues and don't want to mislead anyone when I list it.

Here is a pic of the non factory weld

IMG_1129.jpg

Thanks,
Bchbound

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
There are basically two systems, one where pipe and silencer are all welded construction and later with pipe and silencer clamped as your are. (or maybe the other way around,I forget) I haev pair of the 'one piece' exhausts, little more work if silencer rots out as you have to cut it off, preferably without damaging pipe. Pretty sure the two piece tried to save some money on plating but did need some extra parts plus a threaded end so way more expensive to make and assemble. I wouldn't worry about it too much, it looks original so unlessyour doing a 10/10 restoration it won't be a big deal

1 - 16 of 16 Posts