Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been doing a lot of searching and it seems the only spoke threader/roller available is for
bicycles. Does anyone know of a machine that we could use to re-thread heavier motorcycle spokes?
On a related topic, I tried to determine the thread pitch on some CB and XR spokes and nothing on my
metric pitch gauge matches. Any idea why?
TIA,
Jim

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
Jim,
The shop I worked at in Florida had a thread rolling tool, but I also have been unable to locate one for my own use..... Guess we're stuck ordering pre done spokes/sets for the time being....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
66Sprint said:
Guess we're stuck ordering pre done spokes/sets for the time being....
Ah not so GRASSHOPPER!!!!!!!!!!
I got a tip from a member at another forum to check with British Cycle. Here is what I found:

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the reply email I received from them:
"Thanks for giving us a try for one of our spoke threading tools, 221-32, in stock in our NJ warehouse at US$204.79 plus post. We also have some separate heads under our 221-33, 221-34, and 221-35 numbers if needed, but please bear in mind this tool is not intended for stainless spokes."

It looks like I'll be giving them a call. :D :D :D :D

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
So WHO wants spokes with Witworth threads?.....LMFAO!... :lol:

Just joking of course... Nice find!... A bit pricey, but it is a tool so price is irrelevant....
The one I had access to had three "rolling" wheels instead of a "cutting die" but was otherwise much like a die handle from a tap and die set..... ;) Steve

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
66Sprint said:
So WHO wants spokes with Witworth threads?.....LMFAO!... :lol: /quote]

That is one of the questions I'll be asking! :? :?
Another question will be what the hell does the "p" mean besides the, what I'm assuming is the gauge size.
For instance when ordering a specific roller instead of 8g (gauge) they have a "p" after the number.
(Does this post make me seem like I'm rambling)???????? :lol:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are right Steve. It is a tool so price does NOT matter!!!!!!!!!!!
After all the one who dies with the most tools wins!

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
Boost away...Here, let me help......Is it possible that the Brits use "penny" (like 8 penny nail) as the wire diameter measure?....BTW, Did that bearing cone work?..... :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still haven't had time to install the race yet. :x :x
The last 2 weekends have been full of honey-do crap. This past weekend I told the wife
that next weekend is MY weekend; that I need some Jim time.
Believe me, when she doesn't get "her" time the whole community knows about it. :lol: :lol:
Anyway, I'll get to it Sunday and let you know soon afterwards.
I also took a chance and bought a steering stem from a Suzuki SP400. It uses the same size bottom bearing as the CB200 and I'll bet it is a bit longer/taller than the one I'm trying to use; it looks a bit beefier that the EX clamp as well. I got it for practically nothing; the only downside is that it won't be here by this weekend.

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
Jim,
... I Just remembered that a lower case "d" is the signifier for "penny" in nail sizing....
I'm just as confused as you are as to what "p" means....... :?
Certainly, someone here already knew that (and didn't correct me) .... :eek:
Come on guys!...Step up!.... I'm not ALWAYS right... :lol: :lol: :lol: Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is the reply email I received from them:
"Thanks for giving us a try for one of our spoke threading tools, 221-32, in stock in our NJ warehouse at US$204.79 plus post. We also have some separate heads under our 221-33, 221-34, and 221-35 numbers if needed, but please bear in mind this tool is not intended for stainless spokes."

It looks like I'll be giving them a call. :D :D :D :D
Did the tools work? I have a honda 500 four 1972. Can you give me the specs and manufacturer pls?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts