Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have a 1981 honda cm400t that i am almost finished putting back together after an engine rebuild, but just noticed the damage to one of the coils. It was running before (took apart cause con rod bearing was worn out), is this stator still usable or will it cause problems?
If a new one is needed any idea where i can get one for cheap? Spend a lot already on this rebuild.
Thanks, Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
That stator is pooched! Even if it tests still good with the open windings there it will short out to ground at some point and take out other electrical parts such as your rectifier. It seems something has broken the insulation away from the copper coils and one coil has definitely taken a hit with damaged windings.
Try to find a used one on here that meets the electrical spec's outlined in the FSM and you should be OK; if you are tight for money and buying new OEM or aftermarket is out of the question.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, figured it was done for....my buddy actually has an extra stator (missing the pulsor, which i can sauder mine onto his) but his is from a cm450 and mine is a cm400, does that matter though? Can i use his stator?

·
Registered
167 Posts
If the stator looks the same as in the mounting holes and correct dimensions then you should be fine to exchange the unit. Check a parts fiche for the two models to see if they use the same Honda number.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Stators are direct swap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, ill use his cm450 stator then, just going to saulder my pulsor pickup onto his. Thanks for the help! Should have it running again soon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts