·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to powder coat them.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Sure you can - wouldn't do it with the spokes still on, it will trash them.
The powdercoat doesn't need the chrome removed, just roughed up and all the rust gone.
The painter will have to lay it on thick to cover up pitting and irregularities, so it may cost a little more.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about bead blasting? I would rather not destroy the spokes or pit the rims. My podwer coater said the chrome would have to be removed. Is he wrong?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Well, he's the painter, so do what he says.
Usually the chrome is removed chemically, takes an aggressive media to get it off.
Any pitting will most likely be due to rust, not media blasting.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Buchanan's will sell you a nice new set of rims and spokes for possibly not much more than you will end up spending, think my alloy rims with stainless spokes and nipples cost 600 and change.. lacing them up was actually pretty easy. you probably want new spokes anyhow.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
robdrobd said:
Would like to powder coat them.
Yes you can ;) and it's an easy job for the blaster as all that is required is to create a key for the (plastic) powder coating. I have done several sets this way and find it a good way of saving rims that otherwise may be tossed out :D The powder is very effective in covering small pits and the usual rust spots. A bonus is the inside of the rim is also done which helps in fitting tyres and removes any sharp edges, in all, a good and cheep way to save a set of rims for under $100.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Good picture, Rod. And a definitive answer to the original question. Someday I'll get over the notion that old bikes need to go back as close to original as possible. Looks like you are having a lot of fun with some otherwise trashed parts, and making them look good at the same time. I'd love to build a bitsa bike with with red or black rims, and parts reused creatively.

By way of contrast, last year, I paid $180 each to have some crusty, rusty old rims re-chromed. The shop guy first bead blasted the rust, then used a reverse plating process to remove any remaining chrome. The rims then were plated heavily with copper to fill in the pits. The copper was sanded until smooth, then the rims were nickel plated, and finally chromed. They came out nice, but cost almost as much as new rims.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How does the powder coat hold up when mounting the tires? Do you have to do anything special to keep from scratching or chipping it? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Junque450 said:
How does the powder coat hold up when mounting the tires? Do you have to do anything special to keep from scratching or chipping it? Thanks.
The powder coating is tough, durable and smooth so allows the tyre to slide on with ease, nothing special to do except give it a clean and go for a ride :D

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
fxray said:
Good picture, Rod. And a definitive answer to the original question. Someday I'll get over the notion that old bikes need to go back as close to original as possible. Looks like you are having a lot of fun with some otherwise trashed parts, and making them look good at the same time. I'd love to build a bitsa bike with with red or black rims, and parts reused creatively.

By way of contrast, last year, I paid $180 each to have some crusty, rusty old rims re-chromed. The shop guy first bead blasted the rust, then used a reverse plating process to remove any remaining chrome. The rims then were plated heavily with copper to fill in the pits. The copper was sanded until smooth, then the rims were nickel plated, and finally chromed. They came out nice, but cost almost as much as new rims.
The rims now.... :lol:

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Man that bike is AWESOME !!!
I am mocking up a CB450 cafe bike and was just about ready to post a picture of it before I tear it apart to clean and paint it. Not sure I can now that everyone has seen yours. :oops:
I love the bomber tank and the exhaust is really cool. Are the pipes from a CL450D?
I did the same thing to my center stand as you did. I am using Omars rear sets and his 2 inot 1 exhaust.
Don

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Thanks, I was hoping you would put up a picture of the finished project. I have found from browsing these on-line forums, both British and Japanese, that a very high percntage of the world's most talented builders are from "down under".

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Great looking bike Rod, congratulations on a job well done.

Did you make up the gray cables yourself?

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
dlslick said:
Man that bike is AWESOME !!!
I am mocking up a CB450 cafe bike and was just about ready to post a picture of it before I tear it apart to clean and paint it. Not sure I can now that everyone has seen yours. :oops:
I love the bomber tank and the exhaust is really cool. Are the pipes from a CL450D?
I did the same thing to my center stand as you did. I am using Omars rear sets and his 2 inot 1 exhaust.
Don
Mate they all start out looking sad but end up the beauty the owner loves. A friend told me once that, "The car you drive is the one you like being seen in" and it's the same with you scoot what you like is all that matters.

The pipes i made and use an aftermarket muffler, hand formed centre section, the front bend i had my local exhaust shop bend for me ($15).

So when are we going to see your scoot :D

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
fxray said:
Thanks, I was hoping you would put up a picture of the finished project. I have found from browsing these on-line forums, both British and Japanese, that a very high percntage of the world's most talented builders are from "down under".
Mate take a look around the US has plenty of talented builders and some on this site! But thanks for the words, we Ozzies will take a complement form a Yank anytime :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
MNellis said:
Great looking bike Rod, congratulations on a job well done.

Did you make up the gray cables yourself?
The cables are from several different bikes and made to suit. The throttle cable is CB100 lower section as the nipples fitted the Mikuni's and the upper section CB450. The clutch is a shortened "high-bar" cable and so is the speedo cable. The tach cable is made from two different cables, i can't remember what they were from and lastly the choke is also a CB100 throttle cable shortened to suit. All grey and looking very factory just as i wanted it :)

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
gs1327 said:
Wow, nice job!
Thanks mate, i hope it serves to encourage others to just "get it on the road" ;) ;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Junque450 said:
I saw a video of a guy teaching how to change a motorcycle tire at home. He used some cutouts from a Tropicana container as wheel protectors when taking the tire off and putting it back on. He stated that milk jugs don't work very well for the job.

is that video. It's a tubeless tire, but perhaps the principle would still apply...The same poster has vids of the same instructor showing how to put the tire back on and how to balance a tire.

Also, here is a write-up on how to true and lace a wheel.

I have not yet tried these things, but rebuilding my wheels is in the plans for my winter project so I've been looking around.

·
Registered
636 Posts
so you know how easy it is to get the first lip of the tire onto the rim? wouldn't it be nice if the other one just followed it onto the rim? no tire irons, any of that?

this method works great. super super super great. have used this method many times.

use ratchet straps to hold the two lips of the tire together and then just shove the thing on. works particularly well with the generally smaller tires of these ol bikes. i would recommend not tightening the straps insanely, I suppose there is a chance you could stretch the tire maybe? oh, and lube is your friend. either the dedicated slime or dishsoap.

oh, and don't forget to put your tube in the tire prior to all this. keep all the metal bits of the strap away from your rim and your rims should be safe.

here is a how to:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299597

1 - 20 of 27 Posts