·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
CB350, sorry

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
If I remember correctly the clutch cable for a CB350 routes thru the hole in the frame above the coils.

That would mean - No.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If I remember correctly the clutch cable for a CB350 routes thru the hole in the frame above the coils.

That would mean - No.
When I replaced my cable the only way it could be routed without binding was alongside the frame under the fuel tank mount, which is where the original was run. However, I did have the tank off when it was installed. I can't imagine why you would put it through the frame, since the lever is on the left and it attaches to the transmission on the left side.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
When I replaced my cable the only way it could be routed without binding was alongside the frame under the fuel tank mount, which is where the original was run. However, I did have the tank off when it was installed. I can't imagine why you would put it through the frame, since the lever is on the left and it attaches to the transmission on the left side.

You're correct, Frank - the cable does not run through the frame.......

·
Registered
756 Posts
The answer is yes, but the follow up question is why. It can be done, but is it easier to replace the clutch cable without taking the tank off or is it easier to simply take the tank off to do it? Six of one, half a dozen of the other, but I'd take the tank off and get it done right, make sure you don't snag any wires routing it. If you hate taking your tank off because it's got crossovers, I'd recommend a quick disconnect fitting and you'll stop hating taking off your gas tank. Unless there's another reason...

Reactions: ctrider

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
The answer is NO if you do it right.

The clutch cable is meant to come thru the Cable Routing bracket on the Bar Clamp Bolts around the RIGHT side of the Headtube.
Thru the Hole in the frame above the Coils then down to the Clutch lever and Front sprocket Housing.

The Pic's below are from an unmolested bike during tear down.

Motor vehicle Auto part Vehicle Gauge Speedometer

Auto part Fuel line Automotive fuel system Engine Pipe

Auto part Fuel line Engine Automotive fuel system Pipe

·
Registered
193 Posts
The answer is NO if you do it right.

The clutch cable is meant to come thru the Cable Routing bracket on the Bar Clamp Bolts around the RIGHT side of the Headtube.
Thru the Hole in the frame above the Coils then down to the Clutch lever and Front sprocket Housing.

The Pic's below are from an unmolested bike during tear down.

View attachment 201961

View attachment 201977

View attachment 201969
For whatever reason all four bikes that I replaced the original cables on were not routed this way. Are you sure these pictures show an unmolested bike, as the clutch cable is black not gray?

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Right different bike not the right pic's, that is an aftermarket cable.

I did some digging thru the manual.
There are no definitive pic's that show the Clutch Cable routing.

But there are several that show the cable and views where it runs and from the angles it takes in the pic's I can't see it running anyplace else.

I also found a few other pic's of bike with the cable run thru the frame.

I have it that way on (2) bikes and both allow full free movement of the bars with no change in the clutch feel.

Pipe Auto part

This one has been in there for a long time.
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Carburetor

The angle this takes has to go thru the frame.
Auto part Engine Motor vehicle Fuel line Vehicle

Again thru the frame.

Text Drawing Line Paper Font

This is from theCB 175 Manual but the idea is identical.
Vehicle Illustration

From the CB 350 manual.
The bars are not in place but the Clutch Cable runs thru the frame
Cartoon Illustration History Art

From this angle it has to run thru the hole above the coils.
Line Bicycle handlebar

Around the head tube to the right. the only way back is thru the frame above the coils.
Auto part Font Automotive engine part Vehicle

Same

Auto part Machine Wheel Engine Machine tool

And thru the frame.

Maybe Steve can jump in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.