Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just verbally committed to purchasing this VERY low mileage bike (2200 miles). I am certainly paying the price for it, but I'm really attracted to the originality of this one. Since the bike is long distance, I can only go by the photos. When I look closely at the photos, the paint appears (to me) to be redone. But to my surprise, when I look at NOS tanks on EBAY, they appear to be identical. Also, some 71's seem to be orange, and others seem to be this faded yellow. Any opinions would be helpful since I have to make a decision really soon!

Thanks in advance.

IMG_4864.jpg
IMG_4866.jpg
IMG_4867.jpg
IMG_4868.jpg
IMG_4870.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I believe it is original, or a very good repaint with correct stripes. The color is listed as Poppy Yellow Metallic. There were 3 colors, the others are Candy Topaz Orange and Strato Blue Metallic

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom! I didn't know about the Poppy Yellow - that explains it.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
If it's a restore it looks really well done
The screw in emblem in the o in Honda on the first image looks odd but that might be the photo. If it's stripped or damaged it could indicate the emblems have been off the tank
Also can you get a picture of the underside of the front tank mounts
While the visible section is painted black which is correct the underside should be gold s-l500 (1).jpg s-l500.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info! I found a picture of a NOS tank on eBay, and the rails underneath the tank that ride on the rubber bumpers are painted the exact same way - black with yellow showing on edge. See photo attached of NOS tank.

I'm noticing the side cover is a slightly different color than the tank. Since the bike is 4 hours away, I'm going to get it regardless of the paint being original or not. Since the mileage is so low, it's going to be worth it either way. Worse case scenario, I can send the tin out over the winter and get it properly done. Problem is I have to pay my mechanic to drive 4 hours to pick it up :(

Not sure what the zip tie around the clutch is all about. But he sent a video of himself riding it and everything seemed as it should.

If all goes well, I should have it in my possession at some point tomorrow.

s-l1600 2.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Hopefully all will work out well. In looking at the other pictures close-up, there are many signs about this bike that would seem to validate the mileage... clean, unmolested engine parts and screws, unscratched user parts like brake pedal and footpeg rubbers, shiny bolts, nuts and covers on the engine, no evidence of a bad fall like bent turn signals, levers, handlebars, or footpegs/pedals... I think it's the real deal, and I think maybe a sidecover might have gotten scratched or lost and one had to be painted if the color match is off a bit. I get the impression the mileage is true

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Tom - I certainly hope you're right. Hopefully my mechanic will like it enough when he gets there tomorrow (I told him to get it even if the paint is unoriginal), as long as everything else looks ok. We shall see...

Thanks again for the feedback. It's very assuring.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
You're welcome, of course - I love seeing older bikes like this that have been around in decent care for a very long time go to good new owners that will appreciate what they've come across. I've always hoped to discover something like that myself but haven't yet... maybe one day. Keep us up to speed, and keep posting good pictures that zoom nicely so we can see the details clearly as has been the case so far.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I got the bike today and I must admit it was even nicer than I expected. I'm pretty confident the paint is all original. There are no signs of any tampering whatsoever. It runs amazingly, but tomorrow I will bring it to my mechanic just so he can go through it and check it over. I cant reminder the last time I enjoyed a bike this much!

I'd love to get a different sprocket to give me some more top end - I'm pretty light (160 lbs) so I'm sure the bike can handle it. I will spend the weekend really getting it clean, but it's looking pretty good already:

IMG_5315.jpg
IMG_5316.jpg
IMG_5317.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks! Good to know about gas getting in the oil. I always shut off the petcock regardless, but I didn't realize gas would get in the oil. Bike is at the mechanic now. I'll be replacing the tires, and I'm trying to find the correct sprocket (either larger front or smaller rear) so I can squeak a little more out of the top end. I'm not used to revving so high just to go 55mph!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In regards to the oil change - it doesn't get much easier, but I am having trouble removing the screen. I watched a video where the guy removed the crew in the center of the screen, then screwed in a long bolt and the screen fell out. Not the case for mine, and I didn't want to try tightening the bolt too hard. So I've just been changing the oil for now. Any advice on how to get the screen out?

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Thanks! Good to know about gas getting in the oil. I always shut off the petcock regardless, but I didn't realize gas would get in the oil. Bike is at the mechanic now. I'll be replacing the tires, and I'm trying to find the correct sprocket (either larger front or smaller rear) so I can squeak a little more out of the top end. I'm not used to revving so high just to go 55mph!
I simply fitted a CB175 chain and sprocket set to my CL175, works fine. Yours is a nice looking bike, BTW.

Oil spinner cap - with the retaining screw removed, screw a handlebar clamp bolt into the spinner cap. Larger diameter (M8) bolt, fits a different thread to the M6 retaining screw.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Richard - wow, these are two great ideas! I never thought about the CB175 sprocket option. Funny thing is, now that I'm riding the CL with the stock config, I'm not sure if I want to go with higher gearing - it already feels like I have to slip the clutch to get it going from a dead stop. I'm assuming the CB sprocket will increase top end and lower RPM's?

Also, thanks for explaining the handlebar bolt trick. I love it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Back to the original topic of the thread. I just got my second CL-175. This one has 1700 original miles. I know the paint is original. And to my surprise, it's the same crappy job as the yellow bike. I assumed the yellow one was repainted because of the edges of the black stripes. They really looked too sloppy to be done that way from the factory. However, after seeing the orange one, they are exactly the same way. I'm much more confident now the paint is original on both bikes.

IMG_5448.jpg
IMG_5451.jpg
IMG_5452.jpg
IMG_5454.jpg
IMG_5455.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'm honestly a bit surprised at what I see... it does look original, but I've had a few bikes new during that period - SL175K0, SL350K1, CL450K4 - and I don't recall any rough edges on the tank stripes that is seen on yours, though the 175 and 350 had white stripes. The 450 had black but certainly wasn't like yours... I suppose every company has a bit of quality control issues but Honda has been in the minority over the years, at least in my experience. Those black stripes are a bit rough... but then, it's the patina that counts, and with them being original, you absolutely have it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts