Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I tried cam timing as per the instructional (thank you Bill) but hit a bit of a bump and would like some guidance.

First the chain does not freely move from side to side. Meaning I cant give it slack on one end to be able to pull some on the other like this poster did:
gaillarry said:
Got the cam timing on the proper marks and the lobes are in the right direction per Bill Lanes' article, and the rotor is on the LT mark. Now ready to link the cam chain but looks like the joint will be in the middle of the head. So I have to rotate the engine so I can put the master link in. Will this throw off the cam timing if I move rotate the engine????

Figured it out, just lowered the chain a bit to drop down into the crankcase and was able to move the chain to I can put the link on.

secondly when I did fish the chain through the head to one side to see where the links met up I was like four links short of them being able to be linked together. Is the chain getting bound up somewhere?. It looks ok on the guide rollers and sprockets in the head. Maybe underneath the head. I'm at a loss. Also the tensioner is removed. Thanks a heap for any help/insight.

-Brent

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Your chain is bunched up around the crank, most likely......

Once you free up the bind, you should be able to manipulate the chain to get the master link somewhere on the intake cam sprocket.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Sounds like it could possibly be bunched up on the crankshaft?? Did you count the links or compare the chain length to the old one?

EDIT: Bill beat me to it. THANK GOD. :lol: :p

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I'll go a bit further into it.

Get your crank more or less into the right spot - then get your exhaust cam into the right spot.
Then jiggle the cam chain and pull lightly on the exhaust side.
Once the short end of the cam chain is in the middle (3 o'clock, as viewed from the rider's left side) of the intake cam, feed the cam chain over the exhaust cam and through to the other (intake) side.......
Then align the mark on the intake cam , put the chain on the sprocket teeth and install the master link.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just don't know what I would do without you guys. Will update this weekend with status.

Ps Do you think it is possible to free the chain without taking the cylinders off the piston rings. Those rings were a PITA to fit in the cylinders.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Alfalfa said:
I just don't know what I would do without you guys. Will update this weekend with status.

Ps Do you think it is possible to free the chain without taking the cylinders off the piston rings. Those rings were a PITA to fit in the cylinders.
Yeah sure - just move the crank a little (remember your valves) while jiggling and pulling on one end of the chain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts