Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
72 CB350. I purchased this bike used and I’m slowly going through maintenance and fixing any issues I uncover. I was able to successfully ride the bike for 10 minutes a few weeks ago.

I thought I read that when The stator mark is on LT on the compression stroke - the cam pin should be at the 12:00 position - by removing the advancer unit. Mine is at the 6:00 position. I verified that the left piston is TDC and both left valves are loose. Is it possible to have the cam timing off 180 degrees and still run ok?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Turn the generator 360 and it'll be on 12 o clock.

Edit: to confirm stroke, watch or feel for the intake valve to open. When it closes then that's the compression stroke

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doode, my question is to confirm that the PO has the cam timing correct. On LT on the compression stroke, should the cam pin be at the 12:00 or 6:00 position?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Well, the lobe and pin position are pretty set, so it's not like the stroke and pin relationship can switch. When building the engine and setting the cam crank relationship, I mostly look that the pin is 12 o clock at lt due to the cam sprocket line. I never paid attention to what stroke it was

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link Doode. Hmmm, according to that link, my cam pin is off 180 degrees because my cam pin is at the 6:00 position on TDC - LT on the compression stroke.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doode, I verified that I’m on the compression stroke by verifying left piston on TDC through the spark plug hole. Also both left valves are loose. That’s correct right?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts