Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so my cam chain was about to break so I ended up doing a full engine rebuild to replace the cam chain and some others things. No problems so far, finally got to rebuilding the top end, and I can't for the life of me get the cam sprocket onto the shoulder of the camshaft. By some miracle was able to get the chain onto the sprocket itself, but there is seriously not enough room to get the sprocket back on to the should of the camshaft in order to screw it in. Is there something I'm missing? Any tips? I noticed a post in here regarding the same issue, but no one responded to it. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
24,183 Posts
The timing chain adjuster is your problem. You need to remove the pin at the top !!Be careful not to drop the clip into the engine!!
Now that the 2 pieces are separated use a drill bit thru the holes in the adjuster and pull up after loosening the adjuster nut and then tighten the nut. Now you can push the adjuster blade back far enough to get enough slack so the gear will just slide onto the cam. Re-assemble the adjuster and loosen the adjuster nut, you'll do the chain tension again once the engine is running. 201_4545.JPG 201_4548.JPG

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks LDR. i appreciate it. i was trying to figure out how that mechanism worked. what sucks is that i already put the head on, naturally, and thus i dont wanna hurt the gaskets, since they are brand new. qhuck question though, what is the purpose of the small pointed bolt that attached to the tension through the head?

·
Super Moderator
24,183 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that makes alot more sense. last question: is there any wa i can pull the tensioner assembly up to get the blade out of the way with the head still on? dont wanna ruin the gasket i just put on?

·
Super Moderator
24,183 Posts
Fashion a hook out of a coat hanger to catch the top of the tensioner blade, while pulling up and prying the blade backwards loosen and the tighten the adjuster nut.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i took your advice, but a coathanger was too big, so i used some mechanics wire and hoped for the best. viola! it worked. got the cam sprocket on, and cams on as well. WOOT!!! thanks for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts