Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot for the life of me get the LT mark on the stator and the cam sprocket L to line up perfectly, nonetheless close. The valve timing is always a tooth off. HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU GET IT TO WORK? Any help appreciated, and Clymer is about as helpful as a kick to the ass.

Matthew

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Please update your profile, as we have no idea what bike you are asking about..... With almost 1200 members to reply to, we can't be expected to remember what bike you have... And most cam sprockets have a "0" or a horizontal line you match to the gasket surface......I can't recall any "L" marks on the sprockets....
Please put this info in your signature line to help us help you..........

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On a 71 CL350 its an L with a horizontal line underneath it that you line up.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
The "L" just has to be "up" ...It doesn't align with anything in particular, so I don't understand what you are trying to align it with....
The flat surface on the sprocket's rubber damper pad is the alignment indicator and simply has to be parallel to the gasket mating surface.... At this time, the advancer drive pin in the camshaft should be positioned "up" and the fully threaded sprocket bolt inserted in the "top" hole (the shouldered bolt goes in the other hole after a 360 crank rotation,) and the bolts must NOT be positionally "swapped"....

Is THAT how you were doing it?.........

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes that is it! I am sorry for my vagueness. I have a hard time with the proper descriptive terms when it comes to mechanics. But yes that is what I am attempting to do. I am having a hard time getting that dampener line perfectly parallel. That is my issue I am having.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, I figured the old girl out. Got the line to be parallel with the gasket base.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts