Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im preparing to reassemble my 72 CL350, and the cam shaft oil seal from 4 into 1 looks different than the Honda seal. I previously had this seal in the engine and it didn't leak but id like to verify that it looks correct and if you have any experience with failures of this seal? The patterned inside of the seal seems odd to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
DSC02886.jpg

Honda seal on the left, 4 into 1 on the right. Both new, no lubrication. Not perfectly centred.

Oh and if you are really curious one is a fat cam and the other a skinny ....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
View attachment 290554

Honda seal on the left, 4 into 1 on the right. Both new, no lubrication. Not perfectly centred.

Oh and if you are really curious one is a fat cam and the other a skinny ....
So it looks like with mine, the inside ridge should be pushed inward, if that makes sense? It kinda looks like mine is popping out?

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
Your seal appears it might be in upside down.... Sealing lip should "point" at the oil source with the spring on the "sealed" side......However, numbers and markings are usually on the "out"side......

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your seal appears it might be in upside down.... Sealing lip should "point" at the oil source with the spring on the "sealed" side......However, numbers and markings are usually on the "out"side......
I dont think the seal is facing the wrong way in the housing. But I agree that the sealing lip should point inward. I think that's my issue here. When the seal is inserted into the housing as far as it'll go. And then when the cam shaft is put in place, the sealing lip pops out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What i also noticed is the spring on the inside also pops out of place when it looks like this. Something isnt right. I want to install the seal correctly.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it doesn't leak it should be fine.......
I didn't think this was causing a leak, but now it has me second guessing myself. And with engine pulled, I just want to make sure it's right. I didn't have oil in the points housing, but a lot underneath the points housing. I initially thought it might have been the cam case gasket but I wonder if it was because this seal wasn't installed correctly.

I can get the seal to look "normal" when I install the seal directly onto the camshaft. The spring stays in place and the seal lip faces inward. But when I put the seal in the housing and slide the camshaft through, the spring pops off and it looks like the picture in my original post.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wait, I think I can get the seal to work if I install the seal after the camshaft is inserted into the points housing? Boomer, is this how you do it?

·
Sensei
27,018 Posts
The garter spring should stay in its groove internally and the lip of the seal should "point" inward........
For the nominal cost of a seal, I'd just replace it with a "known to fit correctly" part, and order the seal from Honda...
Did you lubricate the sealing lip during install?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The garter spring should stay in its groove internally and the lip of the seal should "point" inward........
For the nominal cost of a seal, I'd just replace it with a "known to fit correctly" part, and order the seal from Honda...
Did you lubricate the sealing lip during install?
Correct, I did lubricate it. Right now, I'm just loosely testing to see if I can get the camshaft to slide into the seal correctly and it never does. Just kinda bulges out and pops. This doesn't seem to be the best design. Sucks, I have everything needed to reassembly the engine tonight and install tomorrow but will have to wait. I think I'll source the OEM Honda seal.

Thanks for the insight into this.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Not being there to see it, I would say the spring isn't seated correctly... Too shallow perhaps.
You can fuss with it til you get it, or as Sprint66 recommends, source a replacement.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After fiddling with it for a bit, i managed to get the camshaft through very slowly while working the lip inward as i pressed it together. It now looks seated properly and the spring stayed in place.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
This is something you'll want to be 150% confidant about. If it comes apart at 7000rpm you'll wished you'd invested in the replacement

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: A couple days ago, i got the engine back into the bike with all necessary adjustments, etc. I took the bike on a quick 10 mile or so ride. Keeping the revs up and down. She's running very well!

Good news. The oil leak is gone along the top of the engine. Today, i removed the points advancer to double check the camshaft seal and all looks normal.

Semi-bad news: The clutch push rod seal is now leaking. Wasnt before. I have all 4 seals on order to replace behind the clutch cover. Im sure after the fresh oil and finally being ridden after who knows how long, these little things will pop up.

I have no history of the bike before me so i dont really know when it last ran. But im thankful it shifts well and has power through all the gears. Feels like a solid bike.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Only replace the pushrod seal. Don't fuss with the others unless you need to
The pushrod seal is easy.
Thanks for the update. Good to hear all went well

1 - 20 of 22 Posts