Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's wonderful learning about these beautifully made machines. I installed a new tachometer shaft last night. As I was trying to get the right hand exhaust valve cover back on, I accidentally pulled the Cam Shaft Follower out. :-o:-o Well I carefully slid it back in, put the cover on, and fired her up. Or tried to... She would run with the throttle open most of the way open but sure didn't sound right. The sound of the engine was higher pitched and muffled.

Of course my next feeling was dread. I had just had a perfectly running machine but now I had certainly messed it up. I inquired with my local guru, Longdistancerider and he got me in touch with JamesPal. Jim told me to take the front valve cover off and have a look, that my problem probably had to do with the tappet. Well Jim, this is what had happened:
IMG_0833.jpg
When I put the cam shaft follower back in, it had pushed the tappet out of the way and my valve was staying shut! (open?)

I aligned everything with my hands (see pic below), and carefully re-inserted the cam shaft follower making sure to go THROUGH the tappet. Readjusted the valve, and we're back in business!
IMG_0835.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
I've seen it once before. You realized your mistake though, the previous person I saw this happen to thought the follower "fell off" the shaft while engine was running, despite this being physically impossible, he completely misunderstood the fact he assembled it wrong and didn't even realize the bike was running wrong. So job well done to you for realizing and correcting the issue and having the sense to know something was up :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts