Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get cam shaft out. Do I need to drive it through on the points side? Also what tool is out there to compress springs to remove valve springs?
Recommendation for new pistons and rings. cylinder walls look good. picture shows where I am.

Thanks
LGR IMG_4299.JPG IMG_4300.JPG

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Well, we know why the camshaft is bad....
The housing that acts as it bearing and provides the lubrication passage to the bearing surface is mounted up-side down....So NO oil to the bearing or camshaft end...
There is no current need to remove the valve springs and valves....You would need to remove the tappets to do so, and that requires removal of the two head covers/cam bearing castings anyway.....

To remove the left-side head cover (that is what Honda calls the casting that acts as a bearing and houses the advance mechanism and point plate), once you have removed the four screws and the advance base, rotate the camshaft until neither left valve has any pressure from the cam=lobes and tappets.... The casting SHOULD simply pull off, but considering it is likely extremely galled you may consider using a hardwood dowel as a drift to drive it out.... It MAY facilitate the process to remove the tach-drive side by making a similar adjustment to free the right side valves, and pulling it off first.....

Feel free to phone while doing this...... 540-525-5199....Steve

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Whenever you can be at and work on the bike is fine.......

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just so everyone knows. The pic is deceiving. I had already removed the screws from the tach side and took picture. The cam is fine. Just need to know how to get cam off the tach.
Sorry for the confusion
LGR

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Just so everyone knows. The pic is deceiving. I had already removed the screws from the tach side and took picture. The cam is fine. Just need to know how to get cam off the tach.
Sorry for the confusion
LGR
Pic is of POINTS side head cover showing partial advance unit (breaker cam is missing)... The Tach drive is on the engine's right side......
Are you asking how to remove the advance unit from the end of the camshaft?....(It SHOULD simply slide off....IF NOT, Penetrant and two Allen keys as bent- levers (short leg in and under) from opposite sides and kept close to the camshaft may pry it past any rust that is holding it if "levered" simultaneously.....

When you drained the oil DID IT SMELL OF FUEL (gas)?.......
Just asking because it is unusual for the head cover to rotate with the camshaft as its gasket and the tappet pivot pins will normally hold it in place......
That CAN indicate it's galled into the bearing surface..... I suspect you will have to "drift" the head cover off the camshaft, driving it away from the engine to the left.....

The phone call will answer ALL these things......

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your right my bad. That is the points side. I will be calling in the next hour or so.
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts