Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm rebuilding my 71 CB450 engine. I noticed when I was adjusting my valves while reassembling the engine that the cam follower for the #1 intake valve would not make contact with the feeler gauge between the cam follower and cam lobe no matter how far i turned the adjustment screw. I think the cam follower is worn out but I can't seem to find a replacement anywhere. Does anyone know of a source for the followers?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
If it's dished that bad it needs replacement. Delta cam will weld them up and grind them but don't expect fast service, who knows? 8.50$ a follower!!! Who cares! eBay might get some used ones that'd work in a hurry.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sent the follower out to Common Motor because I found out they can resurface them. In typical USPS fashion, the post office lost the package before it could get to them. Finding another cam follower has been a nightmare but I found a company called CMS which seems to have them in stock for about $117. The company is overseas (Netherlands I think?) and the product reviews aren't in English. Does anyone have any experience with this company?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a set of cam followers I intend to send off to be reconditioned. I'm encouraged to read that they're being renewed to factory spec, and not just ground to a convex shape. I send one off years ago to be 'fixed' (the other three showed no wear, but this one was badly dished.) When it returned it had been ground to a smooth, convex profile. It was a thing of beauty! However, when installed, it would not rise to even come close to contact the feeler gauge, just as the OP found out with his. I shrugged it off as it cost less than $20, postage included. I learned something, at least, and it was an inexpensive lesson.

Fortunately, I acquired a spare motor at the same time and was able to use a follower from it: it was the only one in great shape.

That was about 14 thousand miles ago, and this past winter (about 3000 miles ago) I did a budget rebuild after the right piston melted due to a botched timing adjustment. The cam followers were showing much more dishing this time around, but I figured that they would be fine as long as I could still set the valves to spec. And, with about three thousand miles clocked since then (and apparently I got the timing set correctly!) I think they still work as they should- the bike runs and sounds great and revs cleanly to redline. I checked the valve lash at the 1000 mile mark and found only had to make very slight adjustments to them.

What gives me some worry though, is just what I might be giving up in term of performance by not having the followers at their OEM spec/profile. Does it matter that they are dished if they can still allow the proper adjustment of the valve lash? In other words, at what point are they worn out, as opposed to just worn?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I think the more wear on the follower the more valve instability there will be and whatever negative effects of that. I'd think it'd promote faster wear too. Different radiuses on the follower will have different lift curves too. Consider the valve lash too.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I've had good dealings with Phil Joy in the UK - the tappets he did for me were beautiful - but $85 each.
Never dealt with Delta. As mentioned above, simply removing material won't fly in a 450, the tolerances are way too tight.

You might try a different tappet shaft, maybe it's worn.
I have boxes full of bad tappets and another full of (mostly good) shafts. While the tappets are good only as "cores", I'll often swap out shafts during a rebuild, if I run into issues like yours.
Sometimes it works, if the issue is a "too loose" tappet.
Too tight tappets are generally related to valve excursion, usually after a "valve job" where the seat was ground too far.....

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I had to see how my delta followers compared to a NOS one I've been saving.
20171017_011910529_iOS.jpg
Pretty random with the NOS part showing as much as .025" more material.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts