Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have or know where I can get a set of reasonable cam followers? Allan

·
Registered
589 Posts
Reasonable, yes. Reasonably priced, not so much.

Used - eBay . . . when they come up.

New:

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk

http://www.cmsnl.com

http://www.hondarestoration.com

. . . and looking at where you're based, go to:

http://www.plenternz.com

I think you can still get them from the big H too.

Alternatively, you might wanna look into getting yours reconditioned. Search for an engineering shop that does camshaft reprofiling and give them a call. I've had mine done recently - saves me messing around with the variable quality of used ones, and cost about a third as much as new replacements.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks the-chauffeur, New are a bit beyond me but getting the old ones built up may not be, though I like the nice copper look of the original followers.
Thanks for you suggestions! Allan

·
Registered
589 Posts
No worries, Al.

And don't worry about the colour - the recon process only involves retipping the faces and grinding/polishing them back to spec.

Not the 450, but this is what the ones I had done for my 350 (along with the camshaft) came back looking like . . .

My 450 ones are in the works right now. IIRC, the 4 retips came to £75 all in . . . Silver's sells the new ones at £45 each+VAT+postage :shock:

·
Registered
589 Posts
They look worse than they are, especially when compared to the newly reground lobes.

The bike has a total of 7,500 miles on it; by all accounts, it spent the last 30+ years stood in a barn doing nothing. Consequently, I think the journals appear scruffy as a result of two things - age being one; the other being one or two folks trying to turn the bike over once or twice with next to no oil pressure, as opposed to being any kind of long term wear. I had the same issue with the cylinder bores - one had a single, shallow vertical scratch in it that looked like it had been done on one upward stroke.

The camshaft fits into the mounts smoothly and rotates cleanly, with no discernible play. I guess time will tell whether the journals are going to be a problem, but it's not like I'm planning to do big miles on this bike - and I think they're made to look even less impressive because they're alongside the freshly reground lobes. A new camshaft is a possibility, but being NOS, it's prohibitively expensive right now and used ones, no matter what the condition, are almost impossible to find.

I'll give 'em a shine before refitting the camshaft. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I was just making an observation. It's possible the picture makes them look worse than they actually are, as you've said.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi the-chauffeur, you raised the delicate point of how many miles the motor will do. I am 65 this year and one has to be realistic, God willing, I will live to be very old but will I still be riding? Could be going to a lot of expense for someone elses benefit. Allan

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
He could also be going through a lot of expense for his own benefit until he actually passes away, or for the future benefit of his family, who may actually inherit the bike... Personally I wouldn't worry and I'd fix it to enjoy the ride while I could! ;)

One thing's for sure. He won't miss that money when he's gone. Going to your deathbed with fond memories of riding the open road is priceless.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
589 Posts
OK . . . now I'm confused. Who's doing what, to whom and why?

Longevity - frankly, I have no clue. I'm not the man to ask on that score.

My philosophy on this sort of stuff is that I'm doing what I do to my bikes for two reasons; to extend their lifespan (thus giving me the potential of a lot of miles 'n' smiles) and to learn new things/skills/patience. I try not to think about what'll happen tomorrow (in terms of me going under a bus) or the total financial cost - if I were doing that, it'd be far more cost effective to buy a new/newer/restored bike. Although saying that, my renovation work is carried out over periods of time, meaning I can buy cheap-ish and spend over a period, rather than all at once.

But - and it's a big but - if the bike is working reasonably well, just get out and ride it. Fix it when it needs fixing, and don't look at it as an investment or you'll never get any real pleasure out of it.

:D

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
the-chauffeur said:
Any other suggestions?
Are you familiar with this company?

http://www.megacyclecams.com/

If you scroll through their catalog to page 28, you'll see they can install needle bearings in the cylinder head covers where the cam journals ride... apparently reduces wear quite a bit...
I was thinking of doing it at one point... doesn't feel too expensive (although they seem to charge an awful lot for a resurfaced camshaft).

·
Registered
589 Posts
For anyone considering having their rockers refaced, my guy charges £18 ($25) per rocker.

New rockers come in at about £44 ($55) from Silvers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts