Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright get ready for the next Homer award nomination:

My cam follower shafts were seized to the locking bolts and covers not too long ago. I tried just about everything including a heavy hand with the vise grips which ended up deeply scratching the surface. After taking the head to my mechanic for valve work he graciously popped the locking nuts right off with his impact wrench. Great success! I started to pit everything back together but was having trouble getting the cam follower shafts back in due to the deeply scratched surface. So I took some sand paper to the job to clean things up a bit and voilà. Or so I thought... After tightening the head down, cam timing and engine mounting I go to set tappet clearence. All goes smoothly until I attempt to adjust the follower shaft that I sanded. That guy won't get even close to spec. I can get a .005 feeler in there at it's tightest position no problem. Clearly (to me at least) I sanded that guy down so much that it will no longer meet spec... DOH!

I'll get my acceptance speach ready...

-Cheers and Beers
Brent

Ps you think I could try and shim the follower shaft with some soda can or something?

·
Registered
363 Posts
so the folower shaft is loose in the cover? parhaps a competant machinest could turn it down a bit and slip on a nice bronze oil lite bushing to bring it back up to spec.. shiming at this point I think is unadviseable as the shaft is likely no longer concentric.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh man once again you rock! Let me know if you ever make it up this far north to NYC and you my friend have got a pack of my limited edition homebrew with your name on it!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Alfalfa said:
oh man once again you rock! Let me know if you ever make it up this far north to NYC and you my friend have got a pack of my limited edition homebrew with your name on it!
Well, I don't drink, and you couldn't pay me enough to go to NYC.
So down a six-pack and think of me before you pass out, that'll be enough........

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fair enough. I'll just make sure I get stupid drunk AFTER I work on the bike.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright guys really need some input in this one:

Swapped out cam follower shaft and still can't get the valve tappet w/ in spec. Tightest I can get it is .006-.007in. I'm guessing the cam lobe (it's on the R exhaust side) has been worn down. Can I get a confirmation on this? Alternator is in the right position and everthing (T - on compression stroke R both valves closed)

-Thanks
Brent

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, could be. I'll post pics of them from when i took the head apart. I don't rber seeing too much of a difference between the two sets (exhaust vs intake) or even R vs L. And though I certainly won't rule this out, are there any other possible explanations I might have to look into?

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
I may be "seeing things" in your pix, but one looks "flat" and one looks "burnt".... They should be convex and smooth, NO flats or concave areas.....

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Yep they're stuffed (followers) and I'll bet he also seated the valves to deep so you have lost the required gap between the valve and the follower.

The followers have a thin hard coating and grinding them removes the surface. So what next? strip the head measure everything to assure the correct tolerances and then tip the valves to remove the smallest amount posable, toss the followers and get a good set off Ebay ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts