Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the Vesrah brand exhaust cam gasket I got. Notice the holes are not the same as the cover backing plate. I figure I'll have to cut the four holes into the gasket. (two large holes and two small oil return holes in bottom corners)
I'll be pulling the cover off a CL 450 K5 I have to check it out while waiting for advice. Pic are a cb450 K5.
What would you do?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Very interesting. What did the old gaskets look like? I must have a look in my two gasket sets tomorrow as mine are different brands (my engine is a CB450 K5).
In your place I think I would open up for the holes in the plate as they probably are there for a reason but you better wait for this sites guru brain trust to have a look at this one.

Wonder why the holes are there. Could it be splash feed from the camchain that pours back on the cam lobes?

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Hi and welcome
I always thought that the holes were there to act as a baffle for the engine breathers. However having looked in a book or 2, I now wonder if there is a dual purpose for these holes in allowing clearance for the cams as well.
I am sure that you will get a difinative answer soon.
The ones on my K0 are definately the square opening type which is the correct one.
This is a pic of the genuine one both sides.
[attachment=1:1fatnkt9]100_1473.JPG[/attachment:1fatnkt9]
[attachment=0:1fatnkt9]100_1474.JPG[/attachment:1fatnkt9]

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Here is a pic of my K6 plate with gasket on it...Grey areas are where it touched the outer cover, black areas are uncompressed and exposed to oil/fumes ...... ( original Factory gasket)
(very light grey is paper behind so you can see holes)

The "blank" side (front, without breather) was different..... and 500T covers/plates are different again (breathers on/in both covers)...If it's the only gasket you have, go ahead an cut it out...... As long as it stays sealed around the perimeter you'll be fine

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the picture the plate is shown cam side up. The old gasket is till on the reverse and in "good" condition.
After some thought and a search through the gasket set I found the head side gasket. I attached the plate with the old cover side gasket in place then used a little Form-a-masket before mounting the cover since the old one was a little pressed out looking.
I doubt the cover was ever replaced. (9800 orig. miles) No sign of any engine work. Might have been from the new run of K6 engine parts. ???

Thanks for yor help! Without this site I'd be SOL!

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Yep, The head side gasket (as opposed to the breather/cover side) is just a perimeter gasket pretty much shaped like the compressed edge of the other side.....

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
This is the biggest problem with aftermarket gaskets, they are copied from a "genuine" gasket and released to cover all the variations of that bike. As we all know the parts change on a regular basis so we have a mismatch of parts/gaskets fitted to bikes.

These gaskets are for the K0 4speed and as stated buy Steve and others need to be modified to fit and work correctly. Do a search on the Bay and you will find the correct gaskets.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yep, The head side gasket (as opposed to the breather/cover side) is just a perimeter gasket pretty much shaped like the compressed edge of the other side.....
I have just finished checking the valve clearances on my CB450K1 and about to replace the cam covers. Having been in too big of a hurry to take pictures ;) I am now not sure what goes where. This is what I have and am plannign to do, based on my interpretation of comments here:

Cam Cover Gaskets.jpg

On the exhaust side: cover; "full"gasket; cover plate; and "open" gasket (this is still attached to the head)
On the inlet side: cover and open gasket. (pic shows my home made replacement for the original)

I plan to use some gasket stuff on reassembly, so hopefully any small damage to original gaskets will be covered.

Thanks for advice.

Sean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts