Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm just about to check my valve clearances on my 79 CB 400 T and can't find, in either of my manuals, the torque setting for the cam cover bolt when I'll put it back on. Anyone knows it, they are a 10mm bolts?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
They are 6mm bolts with a shoulder. The shoulder actually bottoms out on the rocker arm stand so you tighten them until they become snug and add a slight twist. FSM calls for 6-9 ft. lbs., listed in the torque values as "cylinder head cover".

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just found it and yes 6-9 ft.lbs. You are the best!

It's not on the Clymer manual, but in the Honda Shop Manual. Both PDF

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Tighten until it easily stops, that's shoulder contact. Now just snug it a bit and you're good to go.
Over tightening snaps the bolt off at the shoulder leaving the threads in the rocker stand, those will easily unwind out if that happens.
If the cover isn't snugged enough with the bolt tight then the grommets need replacement since they shrink over time

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
How do you know all that? Are you a former Honda mecanic? A Honda wizard? I would like to take a hands-on motorcycle course, but life is way too busy.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Just for giggles, the bolt size is the thread size, not the hex head size. (another retired mechanic...lol)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just for giggles, the bolt size is the thread size, not the hex head size. (another retired mechanic...lol)
Didn't know that, thanks. I bet there are a lot of macanics, retired or not, on the forum, but i'm not one of them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts