Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a 450 lately - ordered an EBay cam chain, but it came as a loop, with a rivet link on the side.
Had to first break it to use.

Nothing I could do would make it work - the crank and exhaust cam would line up perfectly, but the intake was always a half tooth "early.
Tried several different cams in each spot, different journals, all to no avail.

In desperation I scrounged up an old cam chain (the one that was in the engine was trashed), laced it through, and all was well.

So there's something "off" about that type of chain, or maybe it was a fluke. It was my first experience with this type.
I ordered one off EBay last year, but it came already broken, like a regular Honda chain, and worked fine.

So you might contact the Seller and ask them whether or not the chain is broken - if not, it might be wise to avoid them.......

It caused me much consternation...... (and the customer much irritation with me most likely).
Since a cam chain from Honda is about $90, aftermarket stuff is still attractive.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
That's interesting Bill. In fact I was just pricing the chains for my 350 yesterday on eBay in case I need one, and noticed a non-broken one. Thought it would be good for me since I have no experience, or tools, in riveting a chain. You have me wondering now.

So did this new chain have the same number of links as the old one? Have you contacted the seller to see if he's had any feedback on them?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
I don't think the fact that it was an unbroken chain that was the problem. The problem seems to be the pitch on the new chain is wrong. I would be interesting to confirm that. Can you measure the distance between link pins on each chain and post them up? It's amazing they would sell a cam chain that was unbroken as a 450 or 350 chain. Some of the newer bikes like my YZ426 us unbroken cam chains but that's only because they are on the end and don't need to be "threaded" through the motor.

My guess it was a cam chain for a different bike.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was purchased some time ago - info is gone now.
I just won't get any more for 450's that are unbroken.

Mike is right, the pitch has to be very slightly off.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I find this interesting that the CB450 DOHC cam chain is a broken chain with a masterlink.
CHAIN (DK219-64L)
14401-283-003
JOINT (DK219)
14410-283-000
But, the CL350 cam chain I took out of the Honda bag was a continuous chain just like my 79-83 DOHC Honda cam chains and had to be installed over the crankshaft after splitting the cases.
350 cam chain
CHAIN, CAM
14401-410-003
CB900/1000/1100 cam chain "A"
CHAIN, CAM
14401-MN4-003
And the cam chain that I took out of my CL350 engine was a broken aftermarket chain with a riveted master link.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
What is printed on the chain link :?:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ray -
Even if you took a 450 completely apart you still wouldn't be able to get the cam chain on without breaking it. There's no central "cavity" for the cam chain to get up to the top end - it has two separate "channels" for the chain - so it has to be broken. One of the few Hondas that require this.....
Not surprising that you ran into it on your 350. It's the same chain type, and lots of folks who are too lazy to do it "by the book" use that shortcut.
There seems to be no inherent weakness in the riveted master link, as I've never seen one break at the riveted link........

Rod -
What ever suggested to you than an Olde Farte like me could possibly read those tiny little stampings???
Might as well ask an 18 year old to display wisdom.
After church today I'll find the magnifying glass and try to see if there's anything stamped on it........

As an aside, I just talked to the customer - the chain was actually ordered from Honda !!!!!

·
Registered
785 Posts
I undertsand that Bill, can't get it round things without an initial break in the chain.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
otr002 said:
rod -

Alternate links have "Japan", then "EK 29H".
I've seen others stamped with "DK219".

My older, original cam chain has nothing at all stamped or printed on it.....

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jayel said:
tbpmusic said:
Ray -

As an aside, I just talked to the customer - the chain was actually ordered from Honda !!!!!
later model 450?

K4, as I recall - same as my 450.......
No difference that I know of from K1-K7.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
Crap, now you've got me worried about my EK brand cam chain..

GB :mrgreen:
I wouldn't worry about it - if things don't line up right, just don't waste a whole bunch of time (like I did) checking everything except the chain.
It never occurred to me that it could be goofy.

And yes, this is for the DOHC 450's - I don't mess with the later twins, really.

·
Registered
785 Posts
tbpmusic said:
otr002 said:
rod -

Alternate links have "Japan", then "EK 29H".
I've seen others stamped with "DK219".

My older, original cam chain has nothing at all stamped or printed on it.....
Here is the chain I took out next to the new chain I put in and you can see the butcher marked master link in the old chain.

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
They should fit all old Hondas of the era we're used to dealing with. 350/450/etc.. Standard 219 chain from what I've learned..

I bought one of the EK brand myself so I'm hoping this is a one time occurance..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good evening Hondatwins,
I spend most of my time over at the sohc4 forums (I have a number of old fours). Back in March, I bought a cam chain advertised for a CB/CL 450 CB500 (here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CB450-CL ... ccessories) after doing some research and learning the chains were basically the same. The plan was to cut the chain to size and use the included rivet link for a 550 build I was doing. I got the top end back together and noticed something odd. The cam chain was going to be either too short or too long depending on which link I cut. No amount of slackening or tightening of the tensioner would make it fit. I put a lot of deep thought into it even down to the point where I had crazy thoughts that my gaskets were too thick or something. I had no intention of tearing the engine back down (I had it completely apart and painted, all new seals, etc). I sat it up until last weekend figuring the layoff my spark some ideas. Nope, same thing. So I got to looking at my chain vs. CB550 cam chains I saw on eBay. I specifically remembering 219H when I was looking for a chain. My cam chain has EK29H on it. So I did a search on that figuring I might have received the wrong chain and I cam across this post. I may be completely off base and it may be by design to have that much slack in the chain but I've had many sohc4 top ends apart and I've never had a cam chain/cam sprocket give me issues like this. Unfortunately, I don't have the old chain to try but I may have one of these odd ball chains you speak of. Thanks for posting the issue and I guess I'm off to buy another chain to see what happens...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts