Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an original Honda cam chain tool that I bought many years ago. Now that I need to use it to rivet the cam chain I realized that the pin is broken off at its base, and remembered why it was such a deal.
Does anyone know if the pin is hardened and could be drilled out and replaced? (not that I have the equipment or skill to do so)
if not has anyone used the tool in the pic at the bottom, and know if it will work?
thanks,
Adam
camchain tool.jpg
IMG_4246.JPG

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I have the tool at the bottom and unless you have better luck than I did, you'll get to use it once before the tip bends... I ended up converting the tip for breaking the chain to one for staking the chain, and cut the new chains with a cutoff wheel after that

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I have the tool at the bottom and unless you have better luck than I did, you'll get to use it once before the tip bends... I ended up converting the tip for breaking the chain to one for staking the chain, and cut the new chains with a cutoff wheel after that
Ditto!
TOOLS

·
Registered
526 Posts
Tool at the bottom is a piece of crap if it's anything like mine was :(
I also have the Honda tool and even after grinding the pin on the cam chain first the pin broke off...but I think the previous user may have known it was about to fall off? I was thinking I'd drill into the stub and fit a new hardened pin (maybe a hardened steel nail?)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I grinded the rivets off mine a few days ago, must have been the original chain on a '76. Do I replace the chain or get a new master link and push in with the bottom tool?

chain.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
First - you'll do better, and not hijack this thread, by starting your own rebuild thread so we can follow along and see the pictures related to what you need (and pictures that zoom are even more helpful, as we'll be able to see details better).

Now, as for yours... what you should have done - and maybe you did but didn't recognize it - was turned the engine over and watched for the master link already in the chain, then broke the chain there instead. If the engine didn't rotate, then you'll either have to replace the link you removed with a new master or just get a new cam chain.. I'd be surprised if this is the first teardown for your engine after all these years, but it is possible.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for the advice about avoiding that particular tool.
I'm going to try and find someone who can drill the pin out of the "special" tool.
thanks again
Adam

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
You have a rare piece in that factory chain tool, so if you can repair it and it works as originally intended, good for you

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I actually used a bicycle chain tool that I modified to fit and it works pretty well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I bought a set of those anvils last year and was hoping to find the replacement pin as well, but no luck.
In the end I ground the tip (a couple of times) of a very old bicycle chain tool and it worked pretty well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts